Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Repeat offenders  (Read 5546 times)

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
Repeat offenders
« on: May 24, 2007, 03:05:16 am »

Two of these cubs are continuing to visit the apiary.  One of which hopped the fence post and landed just behind the hive hut.  I was gardening ten feet away at the time...I don't think mites or swarms are my main problem right now... :'( :'(

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
Re: Repeat offenders
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 04:22:41 am »
WOW real live bears in yr backayarda!

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 05:50:10 am »
now that had to be creepy. time to put some electrified fence huh

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 06:46:56 am »
Are you allowed to just shot them?

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 08:13:13 am »
http://www.udap.com/bearshock.htm

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/natres/06519.html

This is expensive, but I think any electric fence would be - and if you watch the video in the first site, there's a beeyard in it!

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 10:04:08 am »
It's expensive, but when you consider what it costs to replace all your hives it's pretty cheap.  I used the net fence around my chickens for the first few months I had them while I was building a more permanant run.  It was quite effective.  Bears weren't a problem then, but raccoons and skunks were.

Mark

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 10:08:52 am »
That is cool that you have them in your backyard, but not for the bees, aleast they are still out there in your area.  Good luck finding a black bear here in Ohio

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 10:40:05 am »
Bee C.  Ken has offered to come over and really bear tight your "safe" place.  The bears should not be there in your yard, there are too many mountains and many other places that are better for them to be.  Call.  He will come over as soon as you need him.  Have a wonderful, safe, day.  Be careful of the cubs, their mother can be really, really mean and dangerous.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 11:01:07 pm »
What are you going to do when they are fully grown and have a standing height of 10 feet.

Excuse me, Mr. Bear, would you mind not eating my hives. Or me for that matter.

Bear: I won't eat you but you need to supply me with a piece of the action. Think of it as insurance. And you need the policy I am offering you.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 01:48:11 am »
BEE C didn't you trap a bear out of there last year??

would a charger and some 12 gauge wire do the trick?  i have a 10 mile charger on my place and it packs a punch.  not very expensive to set up or run. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 05:02:47 pm »
The fence is electrified and up to snuff now.  I went away for a week to LA and made sure the battery was fully charged.  Doesn't seem to be a problem now,  of course the berries are ripe now so they may be busy....

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 06:23:31 am »
oh those are just little ol black bears, and skinny ones at that. The won't get mor'n six ft tall:D
Sugarbush Bees

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 10:31:32 am »
Bee C.  Yeah!!!!!!  Those darn bears eh?  We had a couple around over the weekend.  Did they come from your house?  (LOL).  This was a mamma and a one year old cub, me thinks.  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Glad you are back from vacation.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 06:20:53 pm »
Cindi,
Hey I think have a honey circuit from stave falls to websters corner.  Apparently a neighbour had a grizzly in her yard the other day, I hope that creature heads up to the mountains.  Blackbears are one thing but grizzly are a whole other issue.  I feel like Im sheep herding in the serengetti....

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 06:39:27 am »
I just got a call that one of our hives in Vermont just got toppled. They saved the hive as the bear gave up after it rolled the hive a few feet, must have been a young bear with little experience in bees :-D
Sugarbush Bees

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 11:01:51 am »
Bee C.  I didn't know that we had grizzly bears in this immediate vicinity, most likely a brown bear, plain and simple.  Wonder what the neighbour was smokin'.  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi

anything