Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Methods for preventing a Nuc from swarming.  (Read 7312 times)

Offline drlonzo

• House Bee
Re: Methods for preventing a Nuc from swarming.
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 10:26:07 pm »
I've watched this one about 5 times.  If i had a week to spend i think i'd love to go while he's raising queens and help out for fun.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2014, 10:42:33 pm »
i use double 5 frame deeps.  i made the nucs in late july with 4 frames and a feeder and put 5 frames of foundation above them.  they mostly drew all of the foundation out in september when goldenrod came in.  
i'm getting ready to make some nucs like his for raising queens.  i'm going to make a screened board that i can slide into the middle spot in the fall to combine the two halves into one after i use one of the queens to replace any slackers.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 12:00:09 am »
i use double 5 frame deeps.  i made the nucs in late july with 4 frames and a feeder and put 5 frames of foundation above them.  they mostly drew all of the foundation out in september when goldenrod came in.  
i'm getting ready to make some nucs like his for raising queens.  i'm going to make a screened board that i can slide into the middle spot in the fall to combine the two halves into one after i use one of the queens to replace any slackers.

Did you purchase queens or let them make one. Probably purchased? I bought  queens from a breeder in GA a couple weeks ago. Two have failed or disappeared from the get go. I really want to try the queen thing but want step out there :idunno: Tired of paying someone else for sorry queens. I can raise sorry ones myself :-D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 07:08:40 pm by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Offline drlonzo

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 12:42:53 am »
sc-bee,  what was your reasons for purchasing queens ?  If you can, you should let your bees do what's normal and raise their own queens.  That is if they have the means to do so.  It would seem that lots of people are having great luck with it.  The purchased queens from afar seem to fail alot these days.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2014, 10:15:08 am »
i grafted some and then when i made my final splits i purchased 4 queens from someone in north east georgia.  1 was superseded within a week or two another was superseded in late february, one starved (my fault) and another one is now in a double 10 frame deep.  they are drawing foundation and show no signs of wanting to swarm.  i've made splits this spring by pulling 3 or 4 frames with the queen from hives that had swarm cells.  i've doubled the first one (march 15) and will split the split next weekend.  i grafted 22 larvae yesterday, i'll split my hives that are lagging as well as the nucs i've made this spring into some 5 frame and 4 frame nucs to finish the queens out.  

Offline drlonzo

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 10:39:19 am »
10framer - north east gA , wouldn't be speaking of LULA would ya?  I've had problems with queens from there myself.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2014, 07:10:47 pm »
sc-bee,  what was your reasons for purchasing queens ?  If you can, you should let your bees do what's normal and raise their own queens.  That is if they have the means to do so.  It would seem that lots of people are having great luck with it.  The purchased queens from afar seem to fail alot these days.

I lost 7 hive this winter and had an inside on early delivery on some queens. Thought it would help me build up quicker with some splits since it would be alot longer to raise some. Ga just right across the border there. But with this years winters the early queens may not have been bred as good as they should have .... but I have had supercedure issue with bought queens multiple times. And it could have been my errors ..... Who knows now days??? We will see how the other queens turn out.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2014, 07:16:55 pm »
10framer - north east gA , wouldn't be speaking of LULA would ya?  I've had problems with queens from there myself.

Want to get on board in this one but I will hold back......... I really don't have a dog in the fight but have head stories at the dog fight.

Offline drlonzo

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2014, 08:22:34 pm »
SCbee - I know what you mean.  All said, all done, is your current queens doing well or still having other issues?

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2014, 09:18:03 pm »
no, not lula. 

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2014, 09:20:15 pm »
You guys made me look that one up. Kinda cryptic. I'm betting on Claxton GA. I'll let you know.
Later,
Ray

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2014, 09:35:53 pm »
SCbee - I know what you mean.  All said, all done, is your current queens doing well or still having other issues?

Mine not lula either ...... kinda used to the production bee failure thing though. The other 5 time will tell. I guess if you get 5 of 7 probably beating odds on production queens. Time will tell how the others fair. Also got two dead ones in the mail from another supplier last year. I called to file USPS claim and they said they would do it. Well you know that story. After three calls never heard anything. Called them last week and had them look it up again. They said they recieved no help from USPS last year. Well why bother with the insurance. Has anyone ever had USPS make good on the insurance? They said they would send me two queens in a couple weeks. We will see but I think they will.

Ray who hi-jacked this thread :-D

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2014, 10:32:01 pm »
That's okay Steve. I'm enjoying the read. I misread your post on thin foundation. I thought you were wanting to produce comb honey.
Later,
Ray

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2014, 10:51:04 pm »
That is the kind that folks put packages together with. Here is what I am referring to in use by M Palmer, Not he two inches of duct tape around the top. He states the bees will not cross the duct tape and will remain below the tape in the box vs boiling out. He also stated somewhere in the long version video that about 30% of his hives have double queens (I think I got that number right). Of course a rouge queen will wreck your queen cells so he uses the shaker box when he makes up all his cell builders.

Beekeeping: Building Cell Builders with Mike Palmer

Sc-bee, what is a rouge queen?  I googled it and came up with a shop Baton Rouge called The Queen Bee.

:wierd:

Gary
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2014, 10:54:44 pm »
Sc-bee, sorry about "weird thread" in emoji....all I saw was "what's it about, anyway.  Definelynot a weird thread.  Very informative, but what's a rouge queen?

Gary
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline drlonzo

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2014, 11:00:35 pm »
@ Dallasbeek -  Rouge Queen is one that is a virgin out for mating flight and finds your queenless cellbuilder and moves in.  Since they are currently queenless they will pretty much accept any queen that shows up at the door.  Also being rouge can mean that she is a virgin in the box already that you have missed, possibly a supercedure queen or swarm queen that hatched recently.  This is why M Palmer puts his bees through a shaker box prior to setting up the cellbuilders.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2014, 10:54:47 am »
Drlonzo, thanks for the explanation.  Never saw that term before. 

Gary

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2014, 11:29:11 am »
well, looking on the map it's really more east central.

anything