Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trap out from behind a brick wall - advice appreciated  (Read 6413 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Re: Trap out from behind a brick wall - advice appreciated
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 06:38:42 pm »
Hi everybody, just a bit of an update... The trap out is going really well! The second box I put there though is queenless... The cell doesn't appear to have been successful and they don't appear to have turned any of the eggs in to a queen. I'm tossing up as to whether I should add another frame of brood or just buy in a queen... In any case - no bees have come out of the cone for the last week. Is it ok to remove the cone to let them clean out the wall? How would their being queenless impact on the success of that? I don't want them to move back in to the wall - especially if the queen happens to be sitting in there still. The removal is in its 6th week now - is that too soon? Could there still be some capped brood that will hatch over the coming days?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 07:46:36 pm »
There could be brood and a queen left. I would put in another frame of eggs and wait 3 days, then check for a queen cell.

When you do remove the cone, look for bees carrying pollen in the house. If one bee goes in loaded with pollen, replace cone.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 08:00:50 pm »
Success!  my first ever trapout and it went incredibly well! householder is happy and the bees are happy! I ended up taking two hives off the trap out and both of them raised their own queens! I've now got another two trapouts on the go and one more to set-up - although we're in march now and coming up to winter!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 08:04:19 pm »
Buy a lot of sugar..............
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 12:19:47 am »
I'm already stockpiling it hahaha... thanks Iddee for all of your help and advice!