Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Package Build Up Question  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Package Build Up Question
« on: April 08, 2009, 09:38:26 pm »
How does one know when to add the second story to a colony put on drawn comb which is partially full of pollen, honey and granulated sugar?  The queens are out and presumably laying, and they are taking syrup quickly.  I do not want them to fill up the combs and then swarm.  Should I put the second story on now, even though none of the new queen's brood will emerge for at least 1.5 to 2 weeks?  They would have to be busy with the second story as it will be wired frames with starter strips. I appreciate the advice.  We have some warmer temps here now and the mustard and dandelion are blooming.
Brian

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: Package Build Up Question
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 09:54:58 pm »
When you have 7 to 8 frames (in a 10 frame box) thickly covered with bees, then add the second box. Don't expect them to go up and start working it right away. They'll take their time, but when they decide to, they will start moving up and drawing comb in the upper box.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Package Build Up Question
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 01:05:41 am »
And if they get to the point that all the frames are full of brood and honey and still haven't moved up pull the outside frames from each side and move them to the cent of the super and move the undrawn frames into the 2 & 9 frame spots on a 10 frame hive.  I've had bees just set there with one full box of bees and ignore the super completely until I took the task in hand.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything