Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Russian Bees  (Read 2727 times)

Offline jgarzasr

• House Bee
Russian Bees
« on: January 25, 2006, 06:37:28 pm »
I would like to give another breed of bees a try this year - just one hive.  Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find a package of Russians?  ... and a place that will ship out.  I live in Michigan.  If anyone knows of any I would appreciate.  Thanks.

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Russian Bees
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 07:50:25 pm »
Russians don't like to draw comb, so if you don't have drawn comb to put them on, I'd suggest you start with Italians and then re-queen with a Russian queen after the package has the comb all drawn out! :D
Have a look at this post:
 http://beemaster.com/beebbs/viewtopic.php?t=2906&highlight=
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Russian Bees
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 11:51:40 pm »
After my experience with Russians I'd suggest you stay away!  My russian colony has a tendency to ball on the frames, not make honey despite what other colonies are doing, be EXTREAMLY noisy (which is very intimidating) and just make beekeeping not as much fun.  Granted, I've only tried those from Hardeman Apiaries.

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
Re: Russian Bees
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 07:55:15 am »
Quote from: jgarzasr
I would like to give another breed of bees a try this year - just one hive.  Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find a package of Russians?  ... and a place that will ship out.  I live in Michigan.  If anyone knows of any I would appreciate.  Thanks.

My first year experience with one Russian Queened hive has been very positive.

They were gangbusters!!! Last April, I started with a five frame nuc and the bees took it from there with all Pirco white plastic frames except for the five wodden frames provided by the Nuc-er guy. When the necter resources were there, the bees were there and did a beautiful job of building comb and filling same with honey. I used ten frames in the two brood boxes and nine frames in the medium supers and no burr comb to speak of.

That one hive was my best. The bees are mild.  I went through the entire setup down to the bottom board without a sting, and, minimal smoke.

I and two friends, have ordered seven nucs from Charlie Harper, Carencro,LA for the coming season, or, around the end of April. Nucs must be picked up at his apiary. I don't know about Queens and packages

I have one other hive that I bought, complete with one deep and one medium, sitting along side the Russian with a queen of unknown quality or race. That hive did about the same as the Russian in the end at honey time but their temperment is decidely more agressive and defensive. You'd think that bees would learn some manners being that they live side by side!!!  :lol:                                                                                    
 I have two other hives also, ferals, with different agressive tendencies that I started but I did not remove any honey from them this past year although they did in fact produce.

All my hives, four, have mites, although, so far, not overmuch? The US Russian's were developed here in LA at the Louisiana State Univ " LSU "
to hopefully breed some mite resistant bees. The breeder queens were then released to Queen breeders and Charlie Harper is one of the chosen few.  Time will tell if the bee labs efforts pan out. Stay tuned.  

I can't help you more than you can help yourself " jgarzasr "??? by perusing the Bee mags where you will find, probably all the
Queen makers
in the country. Give them a call.  :D

There you have it, some like Russians, some don't.  Wait awhile you will probably find some middle roaders, like in politics. :wink:

Good luck