Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: transferring a nuc  (Read 5792 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: transferring a nuc
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 12:08:02 am »
You got it down pat, buzz

Now If I could just get me a topbar!!! :lol:

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 08:38:55 am »
They will not fit!

If you build your TBHs correctly they will :-D   Seriously,  this was the easiest way I found to move from a Langstroth to a TBH.

Dimensioned them so the Langstroth frames could be tied under a top bar.  then slowly migrated them out over time.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 08:42:44 am »
I build my TTBHs to take medium frames... but if I were populating a TBH that doesn't take Langstroth frames directly I would not buy a nuc to populate them.  I would buy a package or a shaken swarm (same thing but from a local beek)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bulldog

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 09:09:48 am »
you know michael, that's probably the easiest way to go. i already have a kenyan top bar, but i was planning to build another one anyway. i guess i will just make a tanzanian for it instead. i was too busy kicking myself for not making my existing one big enough, i guess i was trying to outthink the problem. if you could only see all the ridiculous drawings i've been coming up with. you've saved me many headaches, thanks
Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2010, 04:28:52 pm »
Hey bulldog, now that you have slept on it what did you decide to do??
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline bulldog

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 01:59:44 pm »
actually, since i had some more wood left, i just made a tanzanian top bar big enough to accomodate the frames and screwed them directly on my top bars. i put them in their new house monday and so far so good. i thought for sure i'd get stung, but not yet.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2010, 07:38:16 pm »
sounds like you got it going on, great job.

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Offline bulldog

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2010, 11:05:22 pm »
thanks. sorry we got off on the wrong foot, you've been very helpful.

oh, btw i don't think the girls liked the cordless drill too much. i had a couple of them staring me in the face when transferring them.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 06:45:45 am »
No need for that but thanks anyway, you were just stressed out over what to do with what was at hand. I am glad someone chimed in with what had worked for them. There are a bunch of good beeks on here that are willing to share and help. I did not mean to sound like a smart butt, hard to read expression and tone into typed words sometimes. Glad things are going your way now, keep up the good work.

anything