Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mary Ellen's swarm  (Read 2989 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Mary Ellen's swarm
« on: March 22, 2012, 08:31:47 pm »
We had a lot of fun with this one! I got the swarm call this morning and by the time we got there (an hour drive) they had moved in to the joist space between floors. Since they hadn't really established yet I figured smoke might run them out and sure enough it did :-D I noticed at one point that my shirt sleeve seemed to be weighed down a good bit and asked Peggy to check for the queen. She found her majesty right on my sleeve but, instead of just plucking the queen off grabbed a whole handful of bees too!

Mary Ellen's swarm.wmv

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Mary Ellen's swarm
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 08:46:09 pm »
Big swarm there.   Good video guys.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 10:54:03 pm »
nice job scott and peg.that was a nice queen .scott do you ever get any tiger stripe queens.     ......schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 11:03:10 pm »
Yeah schawee, we get those striped ones every now and then just not as many as you do! Most of the ones we get are either what we call "blonde" with just a solid light-colored abdomen or kinda rust colored with a black tip.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 11:06:37 pm »
Fun times.  Great vid.

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 11:14:15 pm »
Peggy your a real trooper to take them stings in the hand and never flinch!!

Great job guys and a very nice big swarm!!
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 11:55:50 pm »
Good job Scott & Peg!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 02:10:18 am »
Was worth the wait! darn big swarm! I've tried smoking swarms out, in fact several times but I recall they were all brick exteriors with sound board between the brick and sheet rock, so two void spaces. Or in a soffit with multiple gaps they could run to. Never worked! Did manage running one out one time with smoke and bee quick but man this was just beautiful. Great job & bigggg swarm! I seem to be getting the little ones lately.  :(

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 02:25:03 am »
As always, great video.  I enjoy watching y'all work together.  Nice swarm and good job of smoking them out.

Offline Scott Derrick

• Expert Bee Handler
  • New Bee
  • Go Gamecocks!!
    • Honeybee Removal Expert Serving South Carolina, Charlotte NC and Augusta GA
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 02:01:16 pm »
Awesome Video. What a break finding the queen on your shirt!!!!
My Bee Removal Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/109455718186385256142
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rsderrick

"You're born. You suffer. You die. Fortunately, there's a loophole."
                                              Billy Graham

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 05:02:23 pm »
Those queens are well trained, just like JP training queens to walk to him across the floor.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 05:25:43 pm »
Thanks y'all. I really had to smoke the snot out of 'em to keep them moving...I ended up using 3 smoker fulls of fuel! When Peggy gets all excited getting a queen she just grabs and hangs on...caught me that way about 30 years ago :-D

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 05:42:33 pm »
UUUUUUHHHHHHHH Scott are you saying you are a......a.......a.......queen???? :lau: :lau:

Just kidding!!
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 09:46:31 pm »
 :-D