Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Center entrance on TBH  (Read 4939 times)

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
Center entrance on TBH
« on: November 21, 2013, 02:02:17 pm »
I have a TBH that I want to put on a hive stand between two Langs hives. I think I need a center entrance so the entrance will be away from the other hives. Is there a problem with that? I dont have any bees in the TBH right now. Hope to have some to split or catch a swarm in a few months.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Center entrance on TBH
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 09:24:10 pm »
Carol, I would say put the entrance where ever you want.  I have had Langs and a TBH close to each other with the entrances all facing south with no problem.  But if I wanted the TBH in the center that's where I would put it.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:54:24 pm »
The bees don't care, but it limits you on restricting space with a follower board.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 07:50:31 am »
In central FL it won't matter.  In a colder climate you want the bees to start the winter at one end, and with a central entrance they will probably start in the middle.  In a colder climate they can end up at one end with food at the other that they can't get to because of the cold.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline mdax

• New Bee
    • North Florida Bee Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 10:12:51 am »
Lots of people use a center entrance on TBH.  Chandler from §¤«£¿æ wrote about using one with two follower boards which also makes it easier to inspect from either side.
The current §¤«£¿æ trend seems to be using a long side entrance with a periscope opening toward one end instead of the middle...maybe talk it over with your bees and see what they'd like...

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 04:46:21 pm »
I'll give the middle entrance a try. I could move the langs closer together but though the middle entrance with the TBH in between the Langs would seperate the entrances more.

I have 2 follower boards....but one has 2 holes in it. I put it in when I installed the package (the big red ants chased out) to feed them.

I keep asking the bees what they want...but so far all I get is buzzzz   buzzzz. Everytime I find a flower or bush they are working...I dig some up and plant it in my yard. I have at least a dozen small stands of wild aster along the wood line of my yard. Next year I should have lots of them. My neighbor has 2 huge stands in his yard..just a short buzzz over the tree tops for the bees.

anything