Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The girls survived the trip.  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
The girls survived the trip.
« on: May 02, 2013, 12:22:15 am »
 Just got home from picking up 2 nucs. The guy threw them into my hive bodies for me, he was in a rush. 5 frames each and all had pretty solid brood. One frame had what looked like a cluster of queen cups. There was appeared to be 4 or 5 cups about 2 inches from the top of the frame. I'll get a better look tomorrow and take a pic if I can.
 I left the SBB open and taped folded up window screen across the entrance. The hives were facing to the rear about 1 inch or 2 from the tailgate. 3 1/2 hour drive to get them home, but the boxes were buzzing nicely when I poked my head over the tailgate.
 Tonight they're camping out in the back of the truck. About 7 am tomorrow, I'll load them on my cart and move them to the hive stand in the field and give them 15-20 minutes to settle down. Then I'll open the entrance, put the reducer on and cut a branch to stick in front. Probably don't need the branch, but what the heck. I'll give them a couple more hours after that for the foragers to start their flights and start looking for resources. I'll pop the top, fill the feeder and lay a pollen patty on each hive...and give them their inner cover.
 I'm leaving the bottom board taped to the body until I get a different space cleared of trees and vines that I want to keep them permanently

Offline Nonprophet

• House Bee
Re: The girls survived the trip.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 12:30:47 am »
Best of luck with your new girls!!
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little."
—Franklin D. Roosevelt

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 10:08:29 am »
No need for a branch after moving them miles.
Where is hopelessly lost anyway?

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 11:03:18 am »
Sounds like you've just about got this whipped.  I'm sure you feel relieved to get them home and settled in.  350 is a lot of stress-filled miles to travel.  Congrats!  Now the real fun starts!

David

PS - please do add you location to your profile so everyone knows which neck of the woods you are located.  Geographic location helps a lot when devising a strategy for answering your questions... should you have any.

anything