Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Big Head or Small Hood?  (Read 2639 times)

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
Big Head or Small Hood?
« on: October 12, 2009, 02:46:43 am »
This summer I had a bit of trouble with the hood on my bee suit.  The hood is one of the flat folding type that is zippered on to the suit. It lays flat and folds up well, but is seems to be just a bit too small. Whenever I put on the suit, the front of the veil always comes into contact with my face.  This is especially true when I stand up straight. The hood is completely covered in the back with clothe, but the front is made up of two vertical bands, that hold up and separates the nylon mesh. The front is completely flat nylon mesh.

My rather large nose is always touching the mesh. At times my cheek is also touching the mesh, if I'm really active.  I've tried wearing a ball cap inside of the hooded veil to help push away the mesh, but the cap always gets twisted around.  This seems like a really stupid problem, but its nothing compared to the kidding I get a work when I have a bee sting on the end of my already attention getting nose.

Is there a simple fix to this goofy problem?  (Please no suggestions about a "nose job". It adds character to a rather boring face.) :-P

Regards,
Tucker1

He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Big Head or Small Hood?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 08:01:29 am »
I have several with that kind of hood.  Some have a band inside, sort of like a hat band, to center your head inside of the hood.  They work well.  Most also are cut so that they fall forward from my face rather than back.  You might get one of those hat bands that goes inside of a hard hat and pin or sew it into the hood...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 11:17:43 am »
Wear a baseball cap under it, the bill holds the net away from the face, several people in the bee club do that.
Actually it appears that their whole suit is too small, kinda the slim line look, kinda like the back/shoulders are pulling the hood backwards into the face.
Those that have loose baggie suits don't seem to have that problem !

Might be one of the reason they say too order suits a couple sizes to large ?

Of course I have been wrong before !

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 12:24:51 pm »
Looking at your avatar, your ears are almost as striking as your nose!!  :-D  :-P

I too have a veil similar, and wear a cap under it to keep it away from my face.  Mostly because the thing is so loose its always banging around on my head.  Perhaps you have a problem with the suit pulling the hood, in which case I don't have much suggestions except quit wearing your suit.   :)  That works for me now.

Rick

Offline scdw43

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 09:25:21 pm »
Get a boonie hat, a rim all the way around.

http://www.militarygearhq.com/c1075.shtml
Winter Ventilation: Wet bees die in hours maybe minutes, no matter how much honey is in the hive.

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 11:41:05 am »
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try and see if I can fix the problem. It seems like such a simple thing.

In response to Scabsobees' comment: "Looking at your avatar, your ears are almost as striking as your nose!!"   Some of us are just gifted....... unfortunately, I'm not.  :-D             
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

anything