Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nuc sizes  (Read 2957 times)

Offline lmehaffey

• House Bee
Nuc sizes
« on: March 27, 2009, 01:18:13 pm »
I recently ordered a couple of nucs from an apiary nearby....for some reason, today, it occurred to me: my hives are the 8-frame type -- what if the nucs are 10-frame? Will that be a problem? If so, should I call the supplier and talk to him about this? Advice, opinions, please....
It is what it is.......except when it isn't.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: Nuc sizes
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 01:29:52 pm »
Most nucs sold are 5 frames, or some are 4 frames. You would take your nuc and remove the correct number of frames from you bee box and put the nuc frames in your bee box. The thing that matters is not the number of frames in the nucs you purchased, but the depth of the frames. If you are running medium depth and ordered deep depth (which most nucs are), then they won't fit.

Offline lmehaffey

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 01:44:11 pm »
I know for certain that my boxes are medium -- they are the ones that come with the English Garden Hive (from Brushy Mountain Company). So I should check with the apiary & see what depth they are using, then order some hive bodies to match? I'll need to get on this, as I am supposed to pick up the nucs in 3 weeks!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 03:32:08 pm »
You definitely need to give your supplier a call and co-ordinate everything with him very soon. He can tell you what he has available and if you need to make an additional purchase of equip.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 04:00:30 pm »
If you don't specify, nucs are almost always deeps (9 1/4" frames that go in 9 5/8" boxes).  Some places (but not all) have some medium nucs available.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 11:08:56 pm »
Medium anything is rare in my area  :-D!
John 3:16

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 12:07:23 am »
Nuc = 5 - 9 1/4 frames here.  I have built 6 5/8 five frame boxes for my own use.

David

Offline lmehaffey

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 09:52:38 am »
Thanks for the responses.....I called my supplier and, sure enough, they are 9 1/4 inch frames inside 9 5/8 inch boxes. That info will let me prepare for installing propoerly. I still have lots to learn about "the gentle art of beekeeping"!!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 11:20:29 pm »
Thanks for the responses.....I called my supplier and, sure enough, they are 9 1/4 inch frames inside 9 5/8 inch boxes. That info will let me prepare for installing propoerly. I still have lots to learn about "the gentle art of beekeeping"!!

It's gentle until you encounter a proddy hive.  Proddy is when they cover your veil (and body pparts) like wall paper.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline lmehaffey

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 12:09:34 pm »

It's gentle until you encounter a proddy hive.  Proddy is when they cover your veil (and body pparts) like wall paper.

Been there already...on my first visit to an active hive! That's why I ordered a full suit. I'm told that I'll eventually shed the suit for lighter gear as I develop my skills and confidence....after experiencing a dozen or so upset bees inside my poorly-tied veil, though, I'm going with the suit!   :-D