Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: my aprenticeship  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
my aprenticeship
« on: March 07, 2005, 07:41:15 pm »
I am now a aprentice to my grandfathers very good friend. He and I have decided to work together very hard to get are hive numbers up and sell both of are honey under the same name. We are working on are sales pitch and we are building a large honey house on my property, bye!!! :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
my aprenticeship
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 07:54:57 pm »
That sounds cool Ryan. That'll be a great way to learn.

Beth

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
my aprenticeship
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 08:20:33 pm »
I cant wait. I have a question though. I have heard of many honey houses being 2 stories but I dont know why? Can you guys answere this, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
my aprenticeship
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 07:13:38 am »
many honey houses being 2 stories but I dont know why?

Nothing moves honey cheaper tha gravity!  If you have or can borrow ABC and XYZ of Bee Culture, they mention this, and have a discussion on honey house planning.
Lesli

Offline asleitch

• House Bee
my aprenticeship
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 08:31:48 am »
Ryan,

You lift your honey supers up on a converyor, or forklift, or anything, you then "extract upstairs" and if you taking a lot honey, you generate huge amounts at the bottom of the extractor. You then need to get it from bottom of the extractor down through a series of filters into storage (normally thse large "oil" drum sized  honey drums) which are themselves quite high up. thus it is much easier if you start the process high up, and use gravity, otherwise you end up with needing a load of honey pumps.

Adam

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
my aprenticeship
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 09:26:37 am »
I thought about that, and yes there are like 2 pumps in are honey set up so far when one looks as only to be needed, bye :D
Ryan Horn