Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I know someone will know the answer  (Read 6989 times)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
I know someone will know the answer
« on: December 18, 2010, 11:49:48 am »
This is my first year processing honey, did the crush and strain and worked great. My wife loves honey and really helps her allergies. The problem is she doesnt like my honey, she says it has a waxy smell and flavor to it, i agree . And the local processed honey does not have this smell or flavor, so here is my question. How do you process the honey like that local "big guys"do ? so i dont have this waxy smell to it? Should i JUST HEAT IT For a period of time?

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
Re: I know someone will know the answer
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 12:45:39 pm »
Don't heat it! Heat ruins the flavor of honey and darkens it. If it's too thick to bottle then set your bottling bucket in a sink of hot water, but don't let the honey get over about 100-105 degrees. Are you using fine mesh strainers, like the ones available from all the bee suppliers? Usually come in a set of 3 filters. The 200 micron filter will get all the wax and most pollen out and give you nice clear honey. Other than that, maybe it's the floral source of your honey that she's tasting. If my wife complained after all the work I do to get it right, I'd consider telling her to just eat it anyway. After all, who knows what she's getting with someone else's honey, and paying for it too!  :-D

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 12:52:21 pm »
the flavor of your honey is natural.  the flavor of the big guy stuff is processed.  the more you do to your honey, the less natural it will be.  DO NOT HEAT IT!
tell her to  eat it if she want the benefits.  if she doesn't, plenty of people will pay for that stuff.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 12:53:06 pm »
Easy solution, instead of changing your honey...change your wife! :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 01:03:06 pm »
Hardwood , I should have known you would have the ultimate answer, thanks bud

But seriously is it because I used a paint strainer instead of some other strainer?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 01:18:46 pm »
no.  it is because you have natural honey and that's what it tastes like.  it may have some wax in it.  i probably has some pollen in it.  that's what it's supposed to taste like.
in fact, the paint strainer probably takes most of the good pollen out.  better to leave it chunky.   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 02:12:19 pm »
  let the honey settle out -might take few days
 warm area helps this -use bucket with honey gate and take
honey off from the bottom of the bucket -once it settles the wax
is at the top-RDY-B

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 04:49:12 pm »
Easy solution, instead of changing your honey...change your wife! :-D

Scott

Nope, been there done that and lost my tshirt

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 10:12:10 pm »
Next time you use a paint strainer, make it a new one.

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 12:07:02 am »
Maybe a little help? Before you crush cut all the wax caps off, Then crush and strain the rest
after most is strained off take away that honey ,Add the caps,re-crush,strain use the second honey
for friends and cooking.

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 02:39:06 am »
There are other discussions in various categories on this site about honey from China (big guy imported) and about companies manufacturing honey out of...(?)... What she's tasting is guaranteed honest-to-god real raw honey.  KathyP pretty much answered this already. (for my first "big" honey harvest, I crushed, strained with a seive [think bowl made of screen] then I let all the wax bits float to the top and skimmed most of them off)
be happy and make others happy.

Offline kdm

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 06:14:41 am »
 I don't know where i read this. A university, I think in Georgia, had a study on comb honey and cholesterol. There study showed that as little as 1 gr. of comb lowered cholesterol. So the waxy honey could be a better  health food than my extracted honey.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 07:40:05 am »
Try and harvest honey at different times during the season , maybee your QUEEN prefers , spring , summer . or fall honey.  ;)

good luck , filtering is probably a good idea

mvh edward  :-P

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 08:57:16 am »
Maybe a little help? Before you crush cut all the wax caps off, Then crush and strain the rest
after most is strained off take away that honey ,Add the caps,re-crush,strain use the second honey
for friends and cooking.

Tommyt

I think Tommy is on to something.  Perhaps it is the crushing that is doing it.  Depending upon how you are pulverizing it,  could you be causing tiny pieces of wax to be dispersed through the honey?  Try the uncapping and draining,  or see if you can find someone with an extractor and see if that makes a difference.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline b reeves

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 10:02:22 am »
If she is comparing your fresh full flavor honey to a store processed honey that is heated till it has no flavor, and she likes the no flavor kind, then heat it till it has no smell or flavor and make your princess happy. Bob

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 12:15:07 pm »
If she is comparing your fresh full flavor honey to a store processed honey that is heated till it has no flavor, and she likes the no flavor kind, then heat it till it has no smell or flavor and make your princess happy. Bob

Yeah, that is what I was going to suggest because you will still know what is in it as opposed to not knowing what is in it when you buy from mass producers.  You don't have to do it all, just what she eats.  Microwave a little at a time.  Over time she will get used to raw honey if you cut back the amount of processing slowly.  Then she will be hooked on the good stuff.

Not for nothing it is exactly the same with all good foods.  If your kids were brought up on mass produced foods they will resist eating what is good (you yourself are no different).  You have to make the change slowly.  Over time keep track of the health concerns (allergies, head aches, digestive issues, resistance to common colds) that disappear and remind them of why.  No one likes feeling sick it is just that we have been brained washed into thinking the solution is swallowing another chemical.  Which if it does anything at all only affects the symptom not the cure.  On top of that, there are negatives to every pill taken.  Even aspirin has side effects.

Make the change slowly, don't try to force anything.  You will thank me later.

Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 12:24:04 pm »
What does a waxy smell and flavor mean??? Never heard anyone ever mention anything even remotely similar. She just might be an Alien in disguise.  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 10:21:35 pm »
Could it be goldenrod honey? There are many species of goldenrod and the aroma and taste can be quite different between them but all are known to have a "scent".

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 10:38:10 pm »
Hardwood , it might bee that , I had alot of goldenrod honey, some soooo dark the flashlight would not even shine through it, also I think it is the filtering , maybe, the cleaning of the paint strainer is a good idea, LOL, but as you hold the honey up tot he light, I can see particles, so that might be what it is.

thanks for everyones input

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 10:59:07 pm »
  try-taking the jars and put them in the oven-(yea i know sounds crazy) put a 60 watt bulb in the oven light-leave the oven light on- try over night -temp in oven will reach 90 or so with the oven of fand the light on-the stuff just has to settel out-itl be fine-RDY-B