Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Medium Nucs?  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Tito

• New Bee
Medium Nucs?
« on: March 01, 2006, 04:04:38 pm »
Hi all,
I'm a 'newbee' trying to find my way in all the details.

So far the best idea I think I understand (because there is a lot I don't yet understand) is the logic of all medium boxes.

Would it be advised to start a colony by using medium nucs (if available?!?!?) and if so please elaborate.  Do you know of anyplace that produces medium nucs?

One issue I have is small cell foundation which is a contentious area I've been trying to understand.  If I have a desire to go SC can I do so utilizing a nuc?  If not what is the best alternative?

Please feel fee to answer the questions I don't now yet to ask!

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: Medium Nucs?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 04:52:23 pm »
Quote from: Tito
yet understand) is the logic of all medium boxes.

Medium boxes are light to handle as honey boxes.
They are capped sooner and you may extract them easier than Langstroth.!

Langstroth is valuable in brood raising and especially during winter.  It has big even brood & food area.!

One issue I have is small cell foundation which is a contentious area I've been trying to understand. !

I have nursed bees over 40 years and I do not understand it. I want large bees XXL, not S

" But while the big is going to turn, the tiny is aldeady in action!"  :wink:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Medium Nucs?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 10:03:22 pm »
>So far the best idea I think I understand (because there is a lot I don't yet understand) is the logic of all medium boxes.

A 10 frame deep full of honey weighs 90 pounds.
A 10 frame medium full of honey weighs 60 pounds.
An 8 frame medium full of honey weighs 48 pounds.

Go to the hardware store and put two fifty pound boxes of nails together and lift them.  That's a full deep.  Then image it's glued down to the next box.  :)  Now take one box off and lift it.  That's an eight frame medium.

>Would it be advised to start a colony by using medium nucs (if available?!?!?) and if so please elaborate.

Yes, that's how I start my packages.  It's not necessary, but it gives them a nice start with minimum space to heat and gaurd and maintain.

>Do you know of anyplace that produces medium nucs?

They are available from Brushy Mt Bee Farm.  It's also easy enough to cut down deeps.

>One issue I have is small cell foundation which is a contentious area I've been trying to understand. If I have a desire to go SC can I do so utilizing a nuc?

You can do so in any size equipment you like.  The size of the equipment is irelevant to the size of the cells.  The foundation is now available wired and uwired in both deep and medium from Dadant and I think also Brushy Mt.

For more on weight and size see my web site.  For more on small cell, see my web site.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything