Welcome, Guest

Poll

How many hive do you have currently set up?

1-10 hives
42 (75%)
10-20 hives
5 (8.9%)
20-50 hives
6 (10.7%)
50 -100 hives
1 (1.8%)
100-150 hives
0 (0%)
150-300 hives
1 (1.8%)
over 300 hives
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: How Many Hives Do You Have?  (Read 8494 times)

Offline Bee Boy

• House Bee
How Many Hives Do You Have?
« on: May 22, 2004, 01:10:51 pm »
How many hives do you have currently set up with bees and everything?

Bee Boy
Bee Boy

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 01:46:33 pm »
I have two, that got a shaky start but seem strong now. The first was started last summer from a 2 lb package of bees. The second was a split from the first. At this point I want to get myself up to 10 hives. I think that will be enough of a job - part time mind you - but a job anyway. It takes me about 30 minutes in each hive to do a good look through. That's from the start of opening the lid, to the end of closing it up. So I figure with 10 hives I could manage it well, but I'd have to be very diligent in my inspections. On nice weeks I could look over 2 hives and be done. During rainy, cloudy, or cold weeks I'd have a much larger job to manage on the possible ONE day I'd get for inspection. That can be pretty rough if I don't start to get over my dependence on the bee suit. That thing gets HOT very quickly.

Beth

Offline Queen Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 03:49:54 pm »
I have ten hives and two nucs! I will probably add another nuc this fall. I add the nucs just to have a place to 'keep' queens.

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 07:21:52 pm »
Ya forgot 0! :lol:

Next year for me
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline beefree

• House Bee
what about the ones i don't own?
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 04:10:51 pm »
i only own one.  i'm taking care of 4 that belog to someone else, and 2 more that belong to his son (different location).  And i may be helping out somebody during honey harvest...or if his tree throws a swarm (he volunteered to show me how to catch it, beekeepers are as friendly as quilters and i never thought i'd ever meet another group of people so helpful as that).
Next year i will have ONE (okay, maybe two) in MY BACKYARD (enough of this driving 40 miles one way just to work the bees).
beefree
Those who are merciful to the cruel become callous to the meek.

Offline Lechwe

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 09:35:24 pm »
I only have one of my own right now. I am taking care of 4 others for another person who is sick and can't. Next year I plan to get 2 more packages and split my current hive.

Offline Lupus

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 12:15:25 am »
I have had over 20 but I am starting over from scratch this year. If this last split works I will have 7. I am planing on making 8 this year. I will try to stop myself at 10. I think 8-10 is a good hobby number more starts getting a little serious.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 12:15:53 pm »
I think if Bee Boy redid this poll and broke it down to NUMBER OF HIVES from 0 to 10 then we'd have a more balanced poll. This poll does though show that the majority are indeed backyard beekeepers and NOT farming bees at higher hive rates.

I'd be curious to see the numbers 0-1, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6, 6-7, 7-8, 8-9, 9-10, more than 10. Then I know we'd see some interesting numbers - my guess is 2 to 5 hives is typical in the forum from all the many posts I have read.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2004, 02:54:28 am »
Started with 2 splits from another beekeeper last year. One died this spring and I got another hive in May. Split both hives in May. Created a nuc by combining frames from the original two hives that has grown strong enough to now be in a regular hive body and is going strong. Started another nuc last week that now has queen cells in it so I'm hoping for the best.

Offline tejas

• House Bee
    • http://www.A-1gutters.com
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004, 01:08:44 pm »
One hive for me, but sure wish I had started with two like most people suggest. I think it would have made it much easier to know if your hives are doing ok or not. I will add at least one more next spring.

Offline asleitch

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2004, 01:24:28 pm »
I started with 1, to which I added a "nuc", then got 2 swarms, and then after artificially swarming the first hive, have ended up with 5. (this is still my first season, having started in March). It's really really handy to start with a few, as I can really see the differences between them. I'm improving at spotting the queen, and on manipulations, it's far easier to do comparisons.

Adam

Offline BeeDog

• House Bee
Re: How Many Hives Do You Have?
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 12:33:18 pm »
This poll was posted a very long time ago almost 10 years.  :-D I am resurrecting it.  8-)
It is highly recommend that split be done with only strong healthy hives that have at least two Brood Chambers with Brood in all stages of development. Frames with capped Brood should be split evenly between the two hives.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 12:40:08 pm »
Right now I have 32 hives, Italian, in 10 frame Langstroth hives
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 01:25:50 pm »
This poll is from 2004!
I have exactly one more hive than all of you do!  :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau:

Offline stanisr

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 02:11:58 pm »
Currently have 5 hives, started the winter with 6. In thirty days we will see how many made it. :?
Rick

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 10:00:50 pm »
Do we answer how many we had then or how many we have now?

:lau:
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 10:45:40 pm »
 95 going into winter, and it has been brutal.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 08:51:23 am »
"Brutal" is indeed the word for this winter, and its far from over  :'(.  Went into winter w/ five colonies in 10 frame Langs and 3 NUCs in a LONG Hive.  Won't know for a while yet whether or which (or any) of them survived……... :-\

I suspect the 10 Hives and below will be the most selected in this poll.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline BeeDog

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 08:56:53 am »
Currently I have seventy hives with only four having bees on it.  :-P :-D :mrgreen:
It is highly recommend that split be done with only strong healthy hives that have at least two Brood Chambers with Brood in all stages of development. Frames with capped Brood should be split evenly between the two hives.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 09:20:23 am »
Currently I have seventy hives with only four having bees on it.  :-P :-D :mrgreen:

Sounds like its time for some splits.  You got bees, you got equipment…….are you ready (mentally and physically) for the expansion? 

When is swarm season in your part of the world?

This site has an excellent section on 'rapid bee growing' but you probably already know that.  Good Luck, have FUNNNNNN!
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."