Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New beekeeper  (Read 2461 times)

Offline wettsun21

• New Bee
New beekeeper
« on: October 16, 2013, 01:32:13 am »
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and to bee keeping. I feel like a nervous mother! LOL I went out just a few minutes ago to see how the ladies were settling down for the night.... 1 bee stood out slightly from the others as she had a very small white or yellow spot on her thorax. Now I am certainly aware of the varroa mite so I went inside to look at some photos. The mite is reddish-brown in color and this spot thankfully was not that. But, I would like to know what it was... could it be a bit of pollen that she gathered?

Look forward to chatting with you all,
Catherine :bee: :bee:

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
Re: New beekeeper
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 01:41:55 am »
Glad you got signed on! You'll love this forum. Lots of great people here. Now that we have bee's, I'll be posting again too. I'll upload some photos later!

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 09:06:56 am »
Welcome to the forum Catherine.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 11:29:17 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Catherine.  There are lots of threads and videos here that can help.  You may want to find your local bee club also.  If you have any questions, just give them a post, and someone will get you an answer.  Good luck to you and your bees.  It will help if you add your location.

Joe

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 02:22:44 am »
Welcome, Catherine! Ditto what JoeD said about finding your local Bee club(s), and letting us know your location.

As far as the white spot, it's pretty hard to tell without seeing a picture. If you can get one of her, I believe you can send it to an Admin for posting here (since your post count isn't high enough yet)
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

Offline wettsun21

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 06:09:05 am »
Thanks! I think I figured out the white spot. It sounds like it was just wax. I read that they sometimes have shards of wax on themselves. At least I hope that's what it was. I haven't seen it again and my hive looks good ( I think). I am such a newbie!! :needhelp:

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 07:29:02 pm »

Wait til you get to see this (I pulled this pic off the internet). I did get to see a bee in an observation hive secreting wax like this. I don't know who was more excited to see it, me or the kids I was showing the hive to!  :piano:
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

Offline wettsun21

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 04:16:25 pm »
OMG that is what I saw! How unbelievably cool is that!? Love the bees!!!!!!  :goodpost:

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 08:42:57 pm »
Welcome, you already got a good taste of what this forum is about. Folks on here are very willing to help and share different methods & experiences.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything