Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: !!!CAUTION!!! remember  (Read 3253 times)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
!!!CAUTION!!! remember
« on: May 19, 2009, 08:31:25 pm »
Don't work your soil too wet, It will kill the soil. I did and it did. :roll: :)doak

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: !!!CAUTION!!! remember
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 09:12:39 pm »
What happened doak? Are your tomato plants okay?
I have heard that it will deplete the oxygen in the wet soil but don't know much more.
Its early enough in the season that you can still amend the soil and get some seedlings in the ground.
How did you know about the soil going bad, did you have it tested or did your plants fail?
I hope you get it straightend out, what a bummer.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 09:48:36 pm »
Not my tomatoes. My potatoes :'(. I had bought 5 lb of seed potatoes and it was still a little wet, I thought. Just got in a hurry. They started dieing and I thought it was ants eating them to death. went to shovel a few and the shovel would not do the ground. I had to "Maddox"  them out. got a half gallon of little spuds, frying size, whole. The ground is now dry tilled with half bale of wheat straw tilled in. Will be tilling a pick up load of some other stuff  and some more stuff in before I plant it again.

I am working on a patch of new ground and have already got 20 plants in there and one water melon.
Already put tomatoes in between my onion rows and have started pulling the onions.
Doing it and and getting it done :roll:

Already driving stakes into the ground and all that. :)doak

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 11:42:31 pm »
Thats too bad about the setback. Looks like you have it all under control now.
You are doing quite alot at your place, good for you.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 08:18:17 am »
Working wet soil will remove the air pockets and compact it terribly.  Doak, good that you've got time to redo it.