Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeder Question  (Read 2209 times)

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
Feeder Question
« on: April 08, 2007, 01:16:15 pm »
I got hive top feeders and they have a wooden rack like thing that can go in each side of the feeder. I took one out and left the other for the picture. Is this the way they are supposed to go? The only thing I can think of is that they might float? Do I fill the feeder full with sugar syrup of maybe if the raft thing doesn't float I should only put a small layer on the bottom?

They were separate so I am assuming they go "in" the feeder and not across the top.... sometimes I hate being a newbee!

http://www.zunibee.com/members/photoPreview.php?photo_id=13&title=Hivetop_Feeder

Any advice on how much to fill the feeder and what the slats are for would be greatly appreciated. :?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Feeder Question
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 02:18:58 pm »
These are Brushy Mt. feeders.  They are floats.  Personally, I'd cut some #8 hardware cloth and close the entrance down to just a 3/8" space coming into the syrup and running all the way to the bottom.  That way the bees only have access to 3/8" of it and the floats are not necessary, there will be less drownings and you can refill without putting on a veil. If you don't want to do that, then just put in the floats and put on a veil when you refill and pour very slowly.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 04:37:02 pm »
Personally, I'd cut some #8 hardware cloth and close the entrance down to just a 3/8" space coming into the syrup and running all the way to the bottom. 

I've read this over and over and can't quite figure it out. Are you saying to take the #8 hardware cloth and staple it over the entire opening except the last 3/8 inch? And let it hang down into the syrup?

Red is cloth (I know terrible drawing)

http://www.zunibee.com/members/photoPreview.php?photo_id=14&title=feed

Thanks for your help.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 09:06:09 pm »
From Mann Lake catolog,  you got the idea.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 09:22:58 pm »
Oh Ok. So the 3/8 inch is the top and the sides of the center bar opening. The bees come up and what walk down the # 8 cloth to eat? Do I fill the feeder full or 1/2 or it doesn't really matter.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 09:33:40 pm »
Yup, they use the #8 as a ladder.   You can fill it as high as you want,  just not too high that it runs down the center entrance.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything