Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from Georgetown Indiana  (Read 3555 times)

Offline samwise

• New Bee
    • The only other big project I'm working on...
Greetings from Georgetown Indiana
« on: February 12, 2009, 05:59:38 pm »
Well, I've been itching to have a beehive ever since we had a swarm stay in our back yard for a few days... but it's always been low on the priority list... that was a long time ago... here I am.. 37, married 15 years to a wonderful wife.. and 2 beautiful girls... 11 & 8... and our oldest has my since of adventure...

We just bought our first bee hive starter kit... and our Bees are on order for May'sh delivery...  can hardly wait!   

So much to learn, so much to read up on... but I think I'm at the point... where "hands-on" training is needed... and the Mrs said ok too... :)

For anythat are not sure where Georgetown is, I'm about 15 mins north of Louisville Ky.

My hopes???  Maybe 3-4 hives in a couple of years... I'm in no hurry to have more than I can handle...

I will be visiting this site often I'm sure... thanks for setting it up and see you all online!

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: Greetings from Georgetown Indiana
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 09:31:15 pm »
Hello and Welcome samwise
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 07:31:59 am »
Hello and Welcome!

I believe you'll find this forum a great place to learn more about bees & beekeeping. The tutorials on the main page were one of the very first places I began learning about bees several years ago.

A few suggestions that I make to all new beekeepers & forum members:
1) Update your profile to include your location, then when you post a question, we can respond with an answer that's appropriate for your climate.
2) The 'search' function is a great tool for quick answers! Many times I find that my questions have already been discussed and I can find an immediate answer to my question.
3) Are you involved with a local bee club? Clubs are good places to find mentors and get connected with local beekeepers. There are a couple of clubs that I know of down your way. I think the Spring Valley Beekeepers are in Jeffersonville. Contact is Art Decker,  812-282-4259, aedjrusnavy@insightbb.com
Across the river, the Kentuckiana Beekeepers meet in Louisville:
http://www.kyagr.com/statevet/bees/association/kentuckiana.htm

Lastly, the State association is having it's spring meeting in Columbus on March 14th. Come and join us if you can. Information should be posted soon at www.hoosierbuzz.com, but for now, here's a link with more info:
http://hoosierbuzz.freeforums.org/2009-isba-spring-meeting-t77.html

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 07:47:06 am »
Welcome to the site. I think joining a local club is always a good thing. Good luck in your new endeavor.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 12:13:33 pm »
Samwise, welcome to our forum.  You have the bee fever, and you aint' seen nuthin' yet, May will seem such a long time to wait for the bees.  But with the amount of studying and learning that you will do, the time will fly.  That world of the bees is one that once you have peeked into, you can never turn back, you will become under their spell, addicted to this beautiful and secret life of the bees.  Here you will find a place to tell your stories, tales, experiences, ask questions....you will have great answers, you will also make some new and good friends, stick around.  Have a wonderful and most awesome life, day and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 02:34:50 pm »
And welcome from Georgetown, Michigan!

I keep my hives swarming just for the purposes of trying to get people interested...no, not really, I just can't control them.

My boys love helping with the bees, they are 8 and 9, even though they mostly get in the way, my 12 year old girl isn't too interested, and I'm not ready to let the 4 and 5 year old boys start yet.

Its a great hobby, fun, rewarding.  Ha ha, 3 or 4 hives!  I was so naive once.... :-D

Rick
Rick

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 04:57:19 pm »
Welcome Aboard, I to would agree that a local bee club is a good idea.  I alxo believe you will find a lot of information in this forum also.

Offline samwise

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 06:07:36 pm »
I had a sad moment today... I mentioned earlier in my introduction about a swarm that started my interest in beekeeping... well when that swarm came into our yard... I was 15, living in Ft Pierce Fla... at that time, I went out & bought a book written by Ormond & Harry Aebi... The Art & Adventure of Beekeeping" the year this happened... 1986!  I just found that book (it looks as new as the day I bought it), boxed away and decided to look up his BIO online... I see he passed away in 2004....   time keeps on ticking... doesn't it?   :'(       

Here's another memory I will always have... my parents & a few of us kids lived in Fla for 3 years, before moving back to Indiana..  but at the time, in '86.... my brother and I, watched in person, the Space Shuttle Challenger explode from the park across our street... a day I will NEVER forget!)  Ft Pierce is about 70 miles south of the Nasa... so it was small... but clearly visible...

We knew something wasn't right... but to be honest, we didn't know for sure what happened... until we went back in the house & turned on the news....

I still remember hearing my mom say... "Oh those poor people"
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 06:42:50 pm by samwise »

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 10:34:06 pm »
Samwise, welcome, I think you're the first Hobbit to join out forum.  Interested in what the under the hill folk have to say about beekeeping.

BTW, how tall are you and what's your shoe size?  I'm trying to verify what I've heard about hobbits being on the short side with big feet.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline samwise

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 02:14:27 pm »
This past weekend, I just went to my first local Bee Club meeting.. Kenny Scnieder hosted it of Spring Valley Farms in Lanesville Indiana... maybe 30-40 people there... lots of equipment on display... lots of people to talk to... I came home with another inner cover, telescoping cover and 2 screened bottom boards... and now I have 2 Hives ready to go... the first package of bees that I ordered is due in May... and now I have another 3lb package of bees I've ordered from another source, they are due to be delivered April 7th.... earlier than the first package....

GETTING EXCITED!!!!

On a related note... I only have right now... 1 hood... no gloves, no suit...   I know I'm a novice and will make my share of mistakes... but should I get them??   Thanks

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 03:21:24 pm »
Guanlets or sleeve guards are more important than gloves, need to keep those pesky things from running up your arms and stinging under the shirt sleeves.  Most won't sting you on the handif you go slow and unless: 1. You're clumsy, 2. You're intoxicated, 3. Been drining al lot of coffee or coke sodas, or been eating bananas.  But, then, if you've been doing any of those 4 things getting stung anyand everywhere is a sure bet.

Basic needs beside sleeves guards (rubber bands work) are a good veil, smooker, and hive tool.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 03:54:40 pm »
On a related note... I only have right now... 1 hood... no gloves, no suit...   I know I'm a novice and will make my share of mistakes... but should I get them??   Thanks
I've never bought a bee suit.  A white shirt and jeans is my usual bee attire. I bought a bunch of white shirts at a local resale shop for 50cents each.  I have a couple tyvek painter suits that I've used when the girls are particularly testy, but they are HOT! As for gloves, I wore them the first couple years but now don't. I'd recommend having some on hand though. It's about YOUR comfort level. Wide variety of choices. Lots of beeks use surgical gloves, but I find them hot, too. My buddy uses playtex gloves.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 11:34:56 pm »
Most won't sting you on the hand if you go slow and unless: 1. You're clumsy, 2. You're intoxicated, 3. Been drining al lot of coffee or coke sodas, or been eating bananas.  But, then, if you've been doing any of those 4 things getting stung any and everywhere is a sure bet.

Ha, ha, hee, hee, hee, hee, now that was funnnneeee.  Gotta tell you, sometimes, Brian, you make me laugh my guts out, you say the funniest things........Welcome to this group of crazeeeee beekeepers.  You're gonna love it here, smiling.  Beautiful day in this great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Cossack

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 09:02:47 pm »
Hello and Welcome to the site.

You will learn a lot here.
I had a dream last night, I was eating a 10 pound marshmallow. I woke up this morning and the pillow was gone.....