Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dead pupa  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Harpo

• House Bee
Dead pupa
« on: January 28, 2012, 03:20:55 am »
Hi Guys,

out of the 2 new hives one has settled and one hasn't... is it due to one having more bees?

For the one that hasn't I went in and pulled the super, removed the bees then the honey loaded frames and swapped them for fresh foundation... the super below, on top of the excluder, is also full.... will harvest that to lighten it and when the weather clears was planning on looking in the brood boxes....

well I had a look below and the ground is littered with 100's of pupa  :'( suspect they overheated but I'm now at a loss of what to do... they are bearded up to the top of the 2nd brood box... what are the ramifications for this hive and how should I proceed? Is it possible I may have to ditch the contents of the brood boxes???

I'm having palpitations over this

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Dead pupa
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 09:59:14 am »
How long after the super was installed before the pic was taken? If not 24 hours or more, just wait.
Did you get the sticks under the lid to ventilate?

I wouldn't worry about the pupa after a move. An upset like that will cause them to abort drones and "maybe" some worker brood.

Harvest the other super, or place it on top the empty one when the weather allows.

PS. The need to stop bearding is a myth. I love to see my bees beard. It tells me the hive is strong.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 10:53:32 am »
If it were my job to do, I would place a deep with foundation under the entire colony, give them a week, then go into the brood nest and then decide what, if anything needs be done. Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:21:09 am by yockey5 »

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 11:00:25 am »
With a super of foundation on top now, why would you add the deep on bottom in an SHB area??
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 12:30:09 am »
I noticed that one of my really strong hives has a bunch of dead pupa dumped outside it also. I suspect some rain has blown in and sprayed up the frames and the bees have removed the wet pupa?
Shane

Offline Harpo

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 07:13:17 am »
It's disturbing isn't it ShaneJ.....

well I think 2 thirds of them are in now - wishing our rain would stop long enough for me to extract the other box....

how's things up there - any flooding? My parents are in Redcliffe and I lived on the S'Coast for many years before the move down here and now your area well...

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 07:34:06 am »
I'm on the eastern side of the highway down near the water so we don't have any trouble here. Can't say the same about the other side of the highway though. A lot of homes were evacuated last week. Its still raining on and off but not as heavy as it has been. Unfortunately I think I am loosing one of my weak hives because of it :(
Shane

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 05:58:06 pm »
I personally wouldn't be too concerned about the pupa - it's a scary sight for us but it's just the bees doing their thing...

Make sure they have space and that's all you need to worry about - they will figure the rest out - they've been playing this game longer than we have :)