Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Obs Hive Populated! Some Questions  (Read 10537 times)

Offline dING

• New Bee
Re: Obs Hive Populated! Some Questions
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 09:49:02 pm »
Good stuff very interesting

Gunna have to get motivated and

Make one myself keep up the good postings
Getting older dont make ya smarter just more cunning

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 09:44:47 am »
Wow! how cool to be able to watch the brood hatching! and the queen laying!  This one is definitely on my to do list - one day! 

I really like the idea of a journal with brood sketches!  It's not too late, I think you should start one!

What will you do when the fill both frames?  Do you start a nuke and then start over with the obs hive?

I just think this is so cool!  Do keep us posted.  Thanks John!

And Geoff - they are booming!  and have gotten much friendlier over the years.  I'm thinking of using htem to start another hive this spring.  Hope you are doing well.

love,
ziffa!

Offline johnauck

• House Bee
  • Smalltime Beekeeper In Victoria Australia
    • Our Permaculture SIte
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 01:26:55 am »

Bit of an update.

It getting cooler here now.

Last week we went away for a few days and upon returning I noticed some water in the pipe and quite a few dead bees, looked like they had drowned.

It appears that condensation was forming in the PVC pipe near the entrance, and dripping down and collecting just before the entrance (right above the notebook in the picture).

The hive itself did not have any moisture on the glass or damp spots below the bottom frame.

I removed the pipe and cleaned it out. In the morning the moisture pool was back, and bees not happy at all having to cross this small lake. And more drowned.

I drilled a few small drain holes in the low spot and all is well again.

Has anyone else observed this problem? I suppose I could ensure that the entrance to obs hive is higher than the window entrance so any moisture would flow out?