Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ventrilo a la Oz  (Read 18760 times)

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Ventrilo a la Oz
« on: November 17, 2009, 05:36:05 am »
Can we get a bloke or a sheila to host a Ventrilo session for all the dinkum aussies, sort of suggesting about 7 or 8 at night ( probably sandgropers might be out cos the'll have us up till midnight or later).
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
Re: Ventrilo a la Oz
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 09:37:18 am »
Hello Geoff,

Sounds like you voted yourself in.  Closer to 8pm EDT (Yinnar Time) would be better.  That is 7pm here, one of the times I often get home.  I believe the westeners are behind you by 3 hours and we are one hour behind.  In any case, when one finishes work at 11pm like I just did, midnight is practically late afternoon.
And while we're at it, what about suggesting an Instant Coffee House in the Aussie forums? We could chuck you a bottle of nescafe and you could rant about aussie rules to your heart's content.

Lone who escaped victorialand to get away from footy and found twice as much here.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 01:48:53 pm »
Hi Geoff and Lone:

First, I'm writing from the hospital in pre-op (Tracey is having here second kidney angioplasty and stent insertion) she is right here, getting fluids before they will take here to the O.R. This procedure is  a bit more risky than the first, the left kidney goes back toward the heart quickly and any chucks that are removed from the blockage in her artery could cause trouble quickly - it is a specialized procedure, a cardiac surgeon does it, not a renal. It is about an hour before they take her in. Please keep her in your thoughts :)

Back to Ventrilo - thanks Geoff for seeking Aussies to fill the void, surely a better hour for your group would be a real help in getting a larger participation and with normal local hours. For those who don't know, I have spoken to Geoff (as well as had him stay with us for several days) and talked to Lone several times. Not to mention Geoff and a friend named Ken who is a friend of Geoff's.

We have lots of room (30 slots for members to interact) and lots of down-time cause most the state-side members are in bed or working when Aussies are doing daily/evening stuff. It is ideal to take advantage of and I hope you get a good turn out.

I still scratch my head wondering why more members don't join in Ventrilo? Communication, learning and sharing live, making real friends and the inevitable face to face meetings :) Someday, we will have a NO DOWNLOAD VOICE CHAT if one becomes available to this forum software - I would hope when THAT day comes around, we will see a great many people in chat.

So, back to waiting, it will be a long day - I don't see myself home until about 8pm and it is almost 1pm now. Tracey will likely be home tomorrow. I'll update everyone how things go.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 03:44:00 pm »
Hey listen BM, I hope that all goes well for Tracey (and you too.. waiting in those circumstances is always a pretty anxious time).

As for Ventrilo, what the hec is Ventrilo

Mick

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 03:54:19 pm »
I still scratch my head wondering why more members don't join in Ventrilo

we show different sides of ourselves when we are on the 'net.  you and i have talked.  i was not what you had expected  :-D.  some people do not want to give up anonymity and their written word persona by talking to others.

will the folks from down under mind if those of us who wander the night pop in for a chat?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 04:05:28 pm »
I'm sure that you'd be more than welcome

Mick

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 05:22:57 pm »
        Yourself and anyone else from around the world would be most welcome Kathy. My suggestion was only to hopefully get other people in our time frame to hop in and communicate. I am one of the lucky ones who regularly has time in the middle of the day to talk to the people on the other side of the world who are a day behind, like we can prophesise tomorrow and maybe suggest it would be a good day to stay in bed like we should have done for Mick last week.

As regards to Ventrilo Slick Mick it is a voice program for the computer. You only need to download the appropriate program from this site    http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php  , have a mike for your computer and voice to the other beeks world wide is open to you.

Any hiccups getting the program set up can be helped by most of the talkers on the forum. So with Ventrilo and Skype I now can talk to people all around the world very cheaply if not for free.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 10:16:24 pm »
Tracey's in my thoughts.  Sorry to hear she has to undergo such a thing.  Let us know how she recovers.

Lone

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 03:32:39 am »
I have used ventrillo, usually on weekend mornings, so everyone in the US is shickered and Im on the java, not fair. It would be nice to get some Aussies on at a local convenient time.
We should be able to pull in a few insomniacs from up there too.

Being able to log onto ventrillo and instantly get the opinion of a couple of hundred years of beekeeping is an enormous resource for beginners and old hands alike. Most of the yanks you can understand, except for a couple of legends, especially one from Misssipee when he on the home made wine.

Anyways they are all very genuine and likeable people who, yes you guessed it, love to talk about Australia and hear your accent. Just as we can pick their different tones, they are very good at telling the difference between melbourne and Yinnar.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 10:04:48 am »
John my thoughts and prayer's are with you and Tracy.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 05:59:58 am »
Geoff,

Do you have a day and a time yet?  I am off work for another week.  I can't necessarily talk, but I am good at listening  )

BM,

I read your reports about Tracey.  Thanks for keeping us informed. 

Lone

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 05:09:20 pm »
G'day Lone,
                   I generally have Ventrilo open 7 PM to 9 or later most nights but I realise your a shift worker which is why we see your posts put up at 1 or 2 in the morning.
                  But hopefully once someone can hook up on a regular basis or just post to this forum what day (or night) and a time that would suit them we could make sure to be there and listening.
                   I suppose we could even let the early birds on the other side of the puddle join in, I know that Buds an early riser.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 10:05:31 pm »
I'll try to remember to have ventrilo on tonight at 8pm Yinnar Time, and tomorrow night as well.  I wonder if a Friday or Saturday evening would suit aussies better?  (those of us who have nowhere to go and no one to not go with)  I think that would be 4am eastern american time.

You are right, I have 5 different shift times.  I often don't know if I am arthur or martha.

Lone

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 11:04:09 pm »
According to your gender symbol on the LHS of your post you are Martha

Slicko

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 05:25:19 pm »
         Just updating the Aussie progress. Last night at approximately 8.30 PM (EST australian time) we had 5 people up on Ventrilo. Lone , koalajohn, myself and 2 of the senior gentlemen from the east coast of USA, jim134 and long john. It was a most interesting evening as the exchange of knowledge flowed back and forth and the forum expanded a little further. Just a suggestion but how about making that time slot regular  on Fridays as a start, all ideas welcome.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 07:27:22 pm »
That time generally suits me Yinnar.  I used to listen to a bluegrass show on friday nights but the time for that has changed.  We did manage to combine bees and bluegrass last night after you left, though.

Martha

Offline Little John_NC

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 07:38:43 pm »
Hey Geoff
I really like the chat this morning or ahh your evening . It would be alright with me if we did it all weekend long.
Its not to bad on me time wize as Im up by 5 am in the morning anyway. During the week Im up at 4 am  :roll:
I could get in a chat for say 30 min. before I have to leave for work.  :shock:
  I  like chatting with my mates from Aussie . Oh by the way you left to soon and you miss some good banjo music
and singing by Lone.
 How bout giving a shout to the Kiwis next door. I have'nt seen any New Zealander  on here.  Maybe Beemaster has a list
or a way of mass mailing them......... I enjoyed the chat lets keep up a good thing.........Little John_NC

PS- Where was Mick and SlickMick ? Sipping on a few tinnys  me guess  :-D
Little John

"The flags of the Confederate States of America were very important and a matter of great pride to those citizens living in the Confederacy. They are also a matter of great pride for their descendants as part of their heritage and history."
Winston Churchill

Quote from chronicle of  Marcus Lucanus of the Roman civil war: Caesar said :
"Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!
Caesar men cheered :
" Hail Caesar! We who are about to die salute you!

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 07:42:04 pm »
Reminder Notice
Ventrilo a la Oz, tonight at 8pm YT. 

Bring your:
Banjo Paterson Poetry (Slicko)
VBees (Micko)
Dogs
Cats
Kids
and a cut lunch

Offline Little John_NC

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 08:29:26 pm »
I'll pop in for about 20 min. or so in the morning ,I got to work tomorrow mate.
I wish I could spend more time chatting  :'(
Little John

"The flags of the Confederate States of America were very important and a matter of great pride to those citizens living in the Confederacy. They are also a matter of great pride for their descendants as part of their heritage and history."
Winston Churchill

Quote from chronicle of  Marcus Lucanus of the Roman civil war: Caesar said :
"Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!
Caesar men cheered :
" Hail Caesar! We who are about to die salute you!

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 04:28:05 am »
Buggerit, I forgot again.

anything