Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new beekeper questions - burr comb and queen missing?  (Read 1721 times)

Offline fthomas

• New Bee
new beekeper questions - burr comb and queen missing?
« on: May 06, 2006, 12:12:58 pm »
This is my first year and I have bought and put out 2 3# packages of italians 2 weeks ago. The first package went great and on the first frame inspection yesterday I am pretty sure I found the queen (she was almost solid black). In this hive I did not two of the frames close enough together and I now have a huge piece of burr comb
http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g157/franklthomas/?action=view&current=BurrComb.jpg
It's large almost 10 inches long. So I was wondering if I can hang this in a frame so it won't be so much wasted effort? There is some damage to it from when I transported it. Some of the tops of the cell walls are marred and I didn't know if they would fix this?  If I can hang it what is a good method?

My second package went OK. It was a litttle more agitated when I installed it. When I removed the queen cage and fumbled around with the cork (I am already becoming disenchanted with gloves) she was so agitated that she came out of the cage and then FELL into the box.  I saw her crawl away under the frames. I could not find her readily yesterday. This hive also had a good start on the foundation and even a few capped cells. This hive has a piece of burr comb on the foundation that is kinda finger shaped? The one thing that bothered me about this hive is that I found about 5 bees dead right in front of the hive (not on the bottom board) and few in the grass.  I don't know if this is a concern or if they aren't as clean as the other hive?
So I was going to wait another week to find the queen and see if there is evidence of brood before I decide to buy a new queen?

I am glad that the beekeeper that is helping me some convinced me to get two hives for exactly this reason. I still think that my first foray into this area is a lot of fun and increadibly interesting.

Offline qandle

• New Bee
    • http://www.drumsondemand.com
new beekeper questions - burr comb and queen missing?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 10:26:18 am »
I'm back into this after many years of being out, but I installed two packages one week ago. And yes, it is great having two hives to be able to compare things.

1) I wouldn't worry about the number of dead bees. With the average life cycle of bees you're going to get at least that number of dead bees in that period of time.

2) I wouldn't worry so much about finding the queen as to being able to see eggs starting to develop. I was able to do this in on day 4 in Hive 1 and day 7 in Hive 2. I went in at day 4 just to make sure the queen's had been released and pulled a few frames. Then I just went in at day 7 to fill the frame feeders and to see if I could see eggs in Hive 2. And bingo, I did. Use a pair of dime store reading glass if necessary. Hold it up to the light and see what you can see.

Now I'll just stay out of their way.

In all likelihood you're probably in great shape.

Quint

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: new beekeper questions - burr comb and queen missing?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 02:56:27 pm »
In this hive I did not two of the frames close enough together and I now have a huge piece of burr comb

This is the biggest problem most beginners have.  It is so important to make sure all 10 frames are installed and tightly together.  So many time people split the frames to hang the queen cage and that is just askig for trouble.

So I was wondering if I can hang this in a frame so it won't be so much wasted effort?

Put it in an empty frame and put a couple of rubber bands around the frame to hold it in place.  The bees will attach it to the frame and then chew the rubber bands off.  You'll find them in the bottom of the hive.

There is some damage to it from when I transported it. Some of the tops of the cell walls are marred and I didn't know if they would fix this?

They'll take care of it

When I removed the queen cage and fumbled around with the cork (I am already becoming disenchanted with gloves) she was so agitated that she came out of the cage and then FELL into the box.

Don't waste your time with the cork.  Use your hive tool to pop the staple and remove the screen.  It's a heck of a lot easier. Especially if your wearing gloves.

I saw her crawl away under the frames. I could not find her readily yesterday.

Is she marked?  If not, consider marking your queens.  It is a good way to keep track of whether your hive swarmed/superceded,  not to mention easier to spot her.

This hive also had a good start on the foundation and even a few capped cells.

Good, that means the queen is OK

This hive has a piece of burr comb on the foundation that is kinda finger shaped?

Remove it,  it will only screw things up more if you leave it.  They won't draw the adjacent frame correct.

The one thing that bothered me about this hive is that I found about 5 bees dead right in front of the hive (not on the bottom board) and few in the grass.  I don't know if this is a concern or if they aren't as clean as the other hive?

Don't worry about it.  Five bees is nothing.  Normal attrition.

So I was going to wait another week to find the queen and see if there is evidence of brood before I decide to buy a new queen?

If there is brood, she is there.

I am glad that the beekeeper that is helping me some convinced me to get two hives for exactly this reason. I still think that my first foray into this area is a lot of fun and increadibly interesting.

Yes, starting with more than 1 hive is always recommended.  You have something to compare to or rob from one to help the other out.  Good decision.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything