Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nucs or Packages  (Read 3528 times)

Offline Beecharmer

• New Bee
Nucs or Packages
« on: April 05, 2005, 05:12:29 pm »
I am wondering what everyone's opinion is - are nucs or packages better?  I went to the IN State Beekeeping Assn. spring meeting this past weekend and (of course) got conflicting opinions.  I have nucs ordered, but maybe next year will change.
"Outside of a good book, a dog is a man's best friend: and inside a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Nucs or Packages
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 06:25:22 pm »
Starting from scratch, a nuc gives your bees a head start on packages.  They already have drawn comb and brood, so the cycle is started.  If you have drawn comb, and can slip a frame or two of sealed brood, honey and pollen in with a package, you can really jump start them and they can get a crop for you instead of drawing comb and reaching harvesting strength when the season is ending.
I prefer packages.

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Nucs or Packages
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 07:06:14 pm »
Nucs definitly give you a big head start. Think of a nuc as an already functioning hive (just smaller). Brood in all stages, nurse bees, field bees, and a queen who is their already accepted mother. Many beekeepers prefer packages because you don't know where the equipment and wax you are getting in a nuc has been. Has it been exposed to foulbrood, has it been treated with any chemicals that may still be in the wax, you never know?

Any apiery worth its salt should very willingly give you a history of medication and all the rest of this before you lay down the dollars for the nuc though.

Good luck with your bees and remember, have fun! :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Nucs or Packages
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 07:11:45 pm »
I say a nuc is better for all the reasons you guys said but this year, my first year, I started from packs this year so I could watch them build up. bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Butterchurn

• New Bee
Nucs or Packages
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 05:42:47 pm »
I had a bad experience with nucs once.

I ordered nucs from B&B Honey Farm in Minnesota and prior to receiving them I had new equipment and combs with no disease.  After installing the nucs I got chalkbrood from the old combs from the nuc.  Chalkbrood spread throughout my good combs and I was never able to get rid of it.

Since that time I order packages.

Ron
Butterchurn (Ron)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Nucs or Packages
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 05:46:24 pm »
I like to build nucs from my own hives and give them as TEACHING AIDS to prospective beekeepers, family and friends who want to see IF beekeeping is for them.

Buying nucs is something I have NEVER done - packaged bees is more typical in my part of the country because of shipping issues.

I just hope that people KEEP their nucs and share the beekeeping experience with others by letting them have a nuc in their yards - if only for a season to see if they can handle it. Plus, they will see QUICKLY the difference between the pollination with and without bees and they will be VERY impressed by the nuc.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Nucs or Packages
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 08:32:53 pm »
I think now I might just stay with packs, they are alot easier to finde around here and I can get a better price next year, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Beecharmer

• New Bee
Nucs
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 07:49:51 am »
I took a two day course given by the Indiana State Beekeeping School and that is what they offered.  The bees are coming from the President of the ISBA, so I am confident they will be healthy.  Also, when the bees are ready, we will all meet and they will show us how to install.  I can understand people's hesitance to buy nucs.  Anyway, next year I may try the package.  I am sorry now that I only got one hive.  After reading, I realized I should have started with two in case one doesn't make it.  Have a good day!
"Outside of a good book, a dog is a man's best friend: and inside a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

anything