Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Weight of Oxalic Acid...  (Read 12667 times)

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
Weight of Oxalic Acid...
« on: January 02, 2008, 01:56:27 pm »
Happy New Year everyone..!

I don't have a gram scale.   Has anyone here converted Oxalic Acid to standard volume measurements.
For instance if I were going to use 75 grams of OA ( which equals approx. 2.6 weight oz. ) how would that equate to volume measurements.

How many tablespoons - level or heaping does 75 grams equate to or how many level or heaping tablespoons of OA equal one ounce of weight...? Either one will help me.

I'm hoping someone here has a gram scale that can work that out for me or someone that has done the OA trickle can give me the recipe in a simple form...    Thanks y'all..... 

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
Re: Weight of Oxalic Acid...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 06:31:38 pm »
This is what I found.  If anyone has another equation please let me and others know.

These measurements were made on the assumption that OA crystals ( DAP Wood Bleach - ACE Hardware ) are approx. the same consistency of brown sugar, which they are.  These measurements came from a recipe conversion website. 

www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart2.html

1\8 + 1\16 cup dry Oxalic Acid crystals = 35 grams

3\8 cup dry Oxalic Acid crystals          =  75 grams

Note: I think I'll spring for a gram scale but in the mean time this will work.... ;)  Let go terrorize some mites..!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 12:28:07 pm »
Steve, I just read this post and you got my curiosity up.

I lent out my Oxalic Acid crystals to a bee buddy, so I could not use the actual crystals themselves for measuring.

But, if brown sugar has the approximate same weight, this is what I came up with.

1/2 teaspoon of UNPACKED brown sugar = 2.5 grams

I have a digital scale that measures up to 150 grams and it is very accurate.  So, presuming that both are the same weight and density, this is what the scale showed.  Hope that helped a bit. Have a great and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 03:17:33 pm »
Thanks...   Do me a favor Cindi.

When you get your OA back just scoop some out ( unpacked just leveled off ) and tell me how much in volume equates to 35 grams and 75 grams. The crystals I have are just alittle lighter in weight than brown sugar but looks to be the same in volume

I used this equation: Brown Sugar, 1/8 cup = 25 grams.

Note: 1\8th cup has 2 tablespoons which is 6 teaspoons.

The measurement didn't mention packed or unpacked - it has to be unpacked though, packed would be way too much.

Thanks....

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 12:37:17 am »
Steve, I will do that for you.  But I am unsure when I will receive the crystals back.  I know when I measured the scoop that came with the vapourizer, I did not pack the crystals, simply filled the little scoop, and reading the instructions.  Brown sugar when used in cooking recipes is so light that the recipes call for it to be packed (generally).  I don't this the O.A. crystals pack down like brown sugar does.

Anyways, it may be some time, but I have jotted down your request in my little book and will perform this task for you, in due time.  Have a great night and wonderful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 11:11:05 am »
Steve, one of the first things I'll do when I get the crystals back  8-)  Have a fantastic day, Cindi

Offline BMBeeFarm

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 05:40:10 pm »
I own a body shop and mix my own paint so I have a very good scale. But I am not very scientific. So I did this. I put a paper on the scale, zeroed scale then put on 7.5 grams of OA. I took the OA and put it in a 1 oz medicine cup. 7.5g is just a hair over 1/4 oz. So to get 75 g multiply by 10. I did it this way because I figured everyone has one of those medicine cups.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 11:55:06 pm »
BMBeeFarm.  Cool.  That works.  Only problem, what if one doesn't have one of the medicine measuring cups?  How many tablespoons/teaspons in 1/4 ounce container, it would be nice to know this.  Great and wonderful day, Cindi

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 03:19:21 pm »
Cindi;

I got out my 1 oz. medicine measureing cup,
1 Fluid oz. measureing cup { courtesy of Equate nitetime cough medicine, Wal-mart }

It shows;
1/2 fluid oz. = 1 TBSP or 3 TSP
 1   fluid oz. = 2 TBSP   { isn't that amazeing }  :roll:

So I would suspect that 1/4 fluid oz. would = 1/2 TBSP or 1 1/2 TSP  :?
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 11:29:06 pm »
Bee-Bop, excellent!!!  I love trivia and funny little things stick out in my mind, like the ouncy and tablespoony thing.  Yea!!!  Have a wonderful and greatest of days.  Cindi