Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Balm Plant  (Read 7443 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Bee Balm Plant
« on: January 23, 2005, 09:04:10 am »
I was thinking of getting a few of these plants, has anyone ever had them to tell me if there are a problem or not , the plant cost $3.95  

BEE BALM

Monarda 'Jacob Cline' (Perennial Plant)

Jacob Cline sports aromatic, scarlet-red, 2-3" tubular flowers to 4" across in mid to late summer, on top of 4-5' tall, upright, sturdy stems. Moderate to fast growth in most soils, but prefers it moist. Sun to part shade; spreads faster in shade. Division usually needed every three years as center will die out and to prevent excessive spread (especially in the South). Allow good air circulation and provide sufficient moisture to reduce mildew. Known for resistance to powdery mildew and rust. Excellent in borders and naturalized. Attractive to bees and hummingbirds!

3-4' tall x 3-4' wide. Grown in 4" deep pot. Hardy in zones 4 through 9.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Bee Balm
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 12:22:20 pm »
Hi TwT,

Bee Balm is a  good plant, hardy well into my area up north.  If you have any kind of green thumb, you could start these inside from seed, it would be much cheaper than paying 3.95 per plant.  Depends on your time available and/or ability to grow plants  :lol:  You can usually buy seeds at wal-mart or other local garden shops for around .99 to 2.00 a packet.

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Bee Balm Plant
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 01:22:35 am »
There is also a white variety. I have both, and they do very well in partial sun. The girls love them! Good choice TWT. :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
Bee Balm Plant
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 01:07:31 pm »
I've grown them from seed.   I'm planning on doing more of the same this year.  I have a stand adjacent to the exit of my observation hive.
Plants to the left.

Mine are in the Mostly shade and are a light purple.  I haven't seen the bees work the flowers though.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Bee Balm Plant
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 01:44:41 pm »
I have to say, as much as I enjoy the photos and writings of the members in the forum, I am always blown away at their knowledge and diverse hobbies and activities.

My wife is reading about bee balm now and been searching the web and really has interesting in growing it here.

This Spring we will be doing a great landscaping change, something we have had planned since Fall and although our yard is very small (by forum member status - 105x55) with a 50x25 foot house and 38x10 motorhome on the property.

Doesn't sound like there is much  to landscape - but we have a section that is fairly unexcessable (which will be wildflowers) and a picket fence line which will be bordered by annuals and still have a back fence where we successfully grow 18 tomato plants every year and around our bird feeders I see having some wildflowers (which helps the fallen seed which sprouts blend in and make it more managable)

Where the bee balm is going - lol... As Ladybee, I can only image, but she surely is interested now.

Please though, anyone reading this - I hope you all make it to Trail Twister's wonderful garden forum which has wonderful content and very eclectic topical categories at www.beemaster.com/garden - I would live to see greater activity there, because the topic is so important ESPECIALLY to a Beekeeper.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Bee Balm Plant
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 09:59:43 pm »
John, you're  just trying to get rid of the last part of the lawn you have, so you don't have to bother the girls with the lawn mower anymore!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
Bee Balm Plant
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 06:11:04 am »
Bee Balm was used as a replacement for 'tea' when the British blockaded shipments of tea after the Boston Tea Party.  Yes, I am a Canuck, yes this has a tentative thread connecting it to the topic...thought this might encourage more propogation of Bee Balm by Americans...its part of your heritage and good for bees!

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Bee Balm Plant
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 05:30:35 pm »
Although this is my first year of beekeeping, I have always been into plants. Jacob Cline, which i have, can be a little invasive and often falls down as the tallest varity of beebalm. Bees do visit it, but not nearly as much as my other colors of monarda. Specifically, the rasberry wine variety.
Another plant that bees will not leave, is Anise Hyssop, or the "blue fortune" hyssop. Easy to grow, less mildew problems then beebalm, prettier flower, longer lasting and bees just sit on it as if they were drug addicts. I cant wait to see if my new additions love it as much as i hope they do. It also seeds easily and will self sow, but is easy to control.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

anything