Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finally!  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Arkwood

• House Bee
Finally!
« on: June 05, 2013, 10:31:17 am »
Some of you know that my first 2 packages this year didn't go well. In the first 50 hours both packaged hive Absconded. Some serious bad luck! However I was able to get replacements a week later and with help from johng (Thank you), we installed them. For the past 2 weeks I have been on the edge of my seat wondering, are these guys going to take off on me? Today I went out and checked for cap brood and while one hive did have cap brood the other didn't however before I got to far into my thoughts about WTH (What the heck) is going on I saw larva and probably a day or 2 away from being capped. I did see some drone caps, normal this soon?

What are words for, when no one listens anymore.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Finally!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 02:01:27 pm »
> I did see some drone caps, normal this soon?

Some are fine.  If all of them are drones, that's not fine.  Every colony makes it's own decisions.  Some will not raise any drones hardly the first year and some will.  As long as it doesn't run over 25% things are fine.

From the time the queen starts to lay until you have some new young bees is three weeks.  After that you'll see them double about every three weeks until they are done building up.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Arkwood

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 02:45:13 pm »
Thanks MB. It wasn't many that I could tell. I only looked at one frame as that was my in and out goal (Check for caps). I just noticed a SMALL area.

What are words for, when no one listens anymore.

Offline Billybee

• House Bee
    • My myspace page for beekeeping
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 07:30:42 pm »
An entrance queen excluder/includer has kept any packages I have gotten and my  1st  swarm I have caught (with the queen) in the box. I remove it once I know they set up shop and then try to wreck the hives my own way  ;)
Can somebody tell me where I can find a foundation tree?

anything