Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I caught the snake!  (Read 10597 times)

Offline Cockatoo

• House Bee
  • Sailing on silver wings
I caught the snake!
« on: June 17, 2009, 11:23:10 am »
 :-D

One of the women here spotted a large rat snake under the mailbox here at work.
The mailbox is encased in masonry and the snake would crawl under it to hide.

So I was called out to remove the snake.
I can't tell you how many wussies we have here that call themselves men.
They FREAKED when I grabbed a hold to this 5' ratsnake and scattered like roaches.

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
Re: I caught the snake!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 11:29:10 am »
Awesome!  I'd love to find a snake like that.  Looks pretty healthy from here.  Nice work.
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline Cockatoo

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 11:32:52 am »
One of the county fells here wanted it has it in a box.
Gonna take it to his barn and release it.

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 04:10:13 pm »
One of the county fells here wanted it has it in a box.
Gonna take it to his barn and release it.
Awesome!!!!! Now that is what I call a win/win situation!!! I love happy endings!
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 04:19:09 pm »
I just want to say Thank You. It's a beautiful snake that needs to be in a safe place.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 07:05:54 pm »
I hate snakes! They give me the creeps.

One of them wussies,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 08:49:43 pm »
I am actually getting to like snakes more and more.  I used to dream about them a lot years and years ago and finally someone told me that in Hindu mythology when you dream about snakes it means, well "desire".  To put it more bluntly, s_x desire!!

Today I actually saw the most beautiful snake, it was black and white and stripped like a barbers pole.  I will take a pic if I find it again.

Offline Cockatoo

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 08:54:14 pm »
Here's where he was hiding!

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 11:54:40 pm »
mail call! lol. My wife is terrified of them, so I have to remove the non venomous, beneficial snakes; there's 700 acres of woods across the street, so I just place them at the edge and corral them into the woods. - haven't seen any venomous ones here (*knocking wood).
be happy and make others happy.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 02:44:01 am »
That type will reek havoc on your chickens. Hence, the "chicken" snake.
I had about 20 Guineas that was about ten weeks old. Had them in a rabbit cage tied up under the barn eve. The first had already swallowed 5 and the second got three about an hour later.
I had a doe rabbit on the other side of the barn that was due to kindle the next day and she aborted that night.

Here in Ga. it is unlawful to kill none poisonous snakes so we have to relocate them.
Never had a King snake to bother anything. I catch those out away from home and bring them home.
I also have an indigo snake around, they are on the endangered species list here.

We also have gobs of Timber rattlers and some giant diamond backs.
We also have one timber job that has no rattles.
Don't know if they got knocked off or if they are mutating. Bad news. :? :)doak

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 08:56:25 am »
That sure is a nice looking snake. 

Doak, your "rattler" info reminded me of my Grandpa.  Cockatoo, you woulda liked him LOL.  He told me about catching a rattle snake on a trip he and some buddies made to their cottage in Michigan years and years ago.  They were all teenagers, and a little wild and wooly.  They caught the snake, and had it in a cardboard box in their back seat.  On their way back into Indiana an ISP Trooper pulled them over, for whatever reason.  He wanted to go thru their car, so they warned him about the snake.  He of course didn't believe them and opened the box.  Grandpa, at this part of the story, laughed pretty hard (and he didn't laugh much).  He said the trooper ran backwards trying to pull his gun and yelling all at the same time.  He nearly fell on his back.  He didn't get any rounds fired, but he knocked the box over and they lost their precious snake.  LOL 

So, cockatoo, just make sure you don't ride around with your snakes.  LOL
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 12:59:21 pm »
I am actually getting to like snakes more and more.  I used to dream about them a lot years and years ago and finally someone told me that in Hindu mythology when you dream about snakes it means, well "desire".  To put it more bluntly, s_x desire!!

Today I actually saw the most beautiful snake, it was black and white and stripped like a barbers pole.  I will take a pic if I find it again.

Native American shamanism views snake visions to represent "wisdom" - I guess the old school hindus are a bit freudian.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Cockatoo

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 01:44:03 pm »
I am actually getting to like snakes more and more.  I used to dream about them a lot years and years ago and finally someone told me that in Hindu mythology when you dream about snakes it means, well "desire".  To put it more bluntly, s_x desire!!

Today I actually saw the most beautiful snake, it was black and white and stripped like a barbers pole.  I will take a pic if I find it again.

That is a California king snake.

The king snake most people think of is the scarlet king snake, which resembles the coral snake.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 04:47:43 pm »
Yes we have them too. The other king snake we have here is black with irregular yellow/whitish stripes.
To some a snake is a snake is a snake.
I'm not afraid of any of them. Just want to know where the poisonous ones are so I can see them and keep a safe distance. :)doak

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 04:58:36 pm »

Native American shamanism views snake visions to represent "wisdom" - I guess the old school hindus are a bit freudian.

I like this view better than the Hindu one.!!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 06:12:07 pm »
i have always love snakes.  one of my granddaughters favorite things is to go snake hunting with grandma.   :-D

can't say i have ever dreamed about them.....

glad you saved that one.  they are one of gods most wonderful creations..  eat, sleep in the sun, reproduce, eat.....  :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 08:59:53 pm »
I'm impressed Cockatoo. I'm one of those wimps when it comes to snakes. Down this part of the world nearly all snakes are very poisonous, and can easily kill a human. I was taught to fear them and run when a child, and that the only good snake was a dead one. I've never been able to change those deep seated fears since then, and I just avoid them. I take my hat off to you!

Offline Cockatoo

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 09:42:19 pm »
It seems like everything in venomous is Oz!
I'm surprised the cockatoos aren't.  :lol:
Y'all have spiders with 3cm fangs!  :shock:
And deadly iracongi!  :shock:

There's not many things I'm afraid of.
But deadly spiders and those jellyfish send shivers down my spine!
At least I can see a black mamba coming!

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 07:36:06 am »
Haha, yes, it does seems that way sometimes. We have some huge crocodiles, sharks, about 12 species of snakes that can kill you, and even the stingrays have killed the unlucky  :'(
The koalas are definitely not cuddly, but at least the cockatoos are safe!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 12:27:43 pm »
That picture of the snake sticking out beneath the mail box is priceless! I would have tried to educate everyone as to why the snake didn't have to go, that is just too cool, snakes are great.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything