Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Woorim (Bribie Island) Bee Rescue  (Read 3569 times)

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
Woorim (Bribie Island) Bee Rescue
« on: September 25, 2012, 12:39:39 am »
I was called early yesterday morning (Monday) by a company that was clearing some land locally. They had felled all the trees on Friday but not noticed until yesterday that one of the trees had a colony of bees in it.

Unfortunately by the time I arrived all of the comb had been destroyed by SHB. Most of the bees were airborne, with some still in the cavity of the tree where the comb was, but I couldn't see any sign of the Queen.

I had the machinery driver move the tree out of the way of everything else that was being cleared and mulched so that I could set up a box for the bees to move into (hopefully). They gave me until 7am this morning to collect the box as they needed to mulch the tree.

I went back early this morning and found all the bees still in the cavity of the tree. With the clock ticking and the machinery driver waiting to mince the tree, I decided to light the smoker and fill the tree with smoke. To my surprise the bees went airborne and then landed back onto the tree right in front of my nuc box, at which point they proceeded to march on in.

Moments later the tree was minced.

Smoking the cavity:

Bees finding their new home:

Old home being destroyed:

Safely out of the way:

Home sweet home:

Shane

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Re: Woorim (Bribie Island) Bee Rescue
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 01:09:05 am »
Good save. Well done!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 08:46:02 pm »
Bees look happy

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 12:25:11 am »
Unfortunately it doesn't look like I have the queen. I'll keep and eye on it but looks like they may have to join another colony.
Shane

Offline wildforager

• New Bee
    • Brooms By Little John
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 02:13:04 pm »
Am I right thinking that you're approaching spring down there? You could add a queen to that nuc and raise it up over the summer. If you could get another queen from a breeder that is.
A weed is just a plant in the wrong place. -Luther Burbank

To find out more about me check out my website.... www.broomsbylittlejohn.com

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 07:58:07 pm »
Yes you are right, Its spring here now. I'll have queens next week and will add one to this nuc.
Shane

anything