Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: moving bees to buckwheat  (Read 2885 times)

Offline PeeVee

• House Bee
moving bees to buckwheat
« on: July 14, 2013, 07:32:01 pm »
A short while ago I planted about 3/4 acre to buckwheat. Just looked and flower buds are forming, may be ready to open.

I have three possible colonies a few miles away that can be moved. All three are double deeps. Any recommendations for moving these colonies?

Cheers,
Paul

-Paul VanSlyke - Cheers from Deposit,NY

Offline JWChesnut

• House Bee
Re: moving bees to buckwheat
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 08:02:36 pm »
Rent a Mustang convertible and put them in the back seat. Be sure and stop at the Drive-In.   No, really could you be *specific* in what your question about moving them is?  How to pick them up? when to make the move? how to reorient? 

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 09:28:21 pm »
Not sure of the question either. But since you are moving double deeps, I suggest getting some help with the lifting, and getting them there soon. It blooms about 30 days after planting.

I've had good success with my bees on buckwheat, it was planted late as a cover and then the seed harvested. The farmer had hundreds of acres of it, since it was after the clover and many other things were done, they really worked the buckwheat hard, right up until frost. They put up a lot of honey in short order.

I've read others who said their bees wouldn't work it though. One commented that the farmer planted a hybrid he hadn't used before, and the bees that had worked the buckwheat in the past would not touch it.

I have not noticed any buckwheat coming into the supers, even when there is plenty of volunteer stuff blooming nearby. Seems if they can find other sources (round here anyway), they will ignore it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 10:24:28 pm by splitrock »

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 09:42:15 pm »
I planted buckwheat two years ago. One batch early and one batch later. I don't remember the dates.
The first bloomed at the same time as white clover and my bees never touched it. The second batch bloomed late and they tore it up.
Same here with chicory, they won't touch it until there's nothing else available. They were working it hard this morning so I think it's safe to say the flow is over at my house.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 01:17:29 am »
mine is going to seed and the bees haven't touched it.  i planted an acre and it's been blooming for a few weeks now.  smooth sumac is coming into bloom but the bees have worked very little since maybe the middle of june.  it apparently wasn't too attractive to my bees.  they were working today (mostly) and are bringing in some very light nectar from something (maybe vetch or boxweed, i don't know) definitely not the buckwheat, though.  i planted a couple of butterfly bushes and vitecs today and the bees were on them before i was finished.
this is the first time i've tried buckwheat and it didn't do much for me.  i wouldn't work too hard to move those bees to less than an acre.  maybe the lightest one only so it can take advantage of it.  i'm curious so update us please.

rob

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 04:54:09 am »
First of all, I have heard that its taste resembles manure. It is difficult to sell, so it was told to me.

.I had bees on buck wheat but they did not vosit there, neither bumbles. Nectar droplets are etremely small.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline PeeVee

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 08:14:41 am »
Thanks for the replies. Primary interest was if 3 colonies would be too many. Also was wondering about anyone with previous experience as to length of flowering. Finski: I have heard the flavor of the buckwheat honey is an acquired taste; but then, Goldenrod smells like dirty socks until cured.

I'll try one colony and see what happens.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 09:49:46 am »
mine has been blooming for at least a month now.  about a third or less is going to seed. 
i don't know if this is normal since it's the first time i've planted it and we've had a ridiculous amount of rain over the last 45 days.
i tasted it when i was a teenager and it wasn't good.  my reason for planting was really just so the bees could maintain stores through the summer.  after the middle of june there isn't much going on down my way until fall.

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 01:32:13 pm »
I have planted buckwheat as a cover in my little garden. The bees work it good late in the summer when little else is blooming. They work it early in the morning. I never had enough to make a honey crop. But have a friend in Ohio gives me some every year and it taste like molasses to me. Good to cook with like on sweet potatoes.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 01:50:36 pm »
Buckwheat honey is a dark honey, in fact as dark as it gets almost. not sure if it tastes like manure, as I've never ate manure...but if it does manure tastes pretty good.... There are some people who swear by buckwheat honey and prefer it above most. some not so much. but if your bees do work buckwheat generally it will produce a lot of nectar....but of course it depends on the climate it grows in, like anything else. Some climates dry the nectar out of plants pretty quick, others not so much, and it gives the bees chances to collect it all day. Buckwheat does pretty ok here in michigan in my area, thats for sure.

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 10:25:05 pm »
I've heard and seen plenty from people and this type of honey. Around here it's about 50/50, half think it's great, and the other half would argue with them. I myself didn't like it the first year, but, I have really grown fond of it since the 2nd year. Also, if one would look up the benefits if buckwheat honey, they would be amazed, and probably make an attempt to get used to it.

My daughter who helps me with the bees, her first words after tasting it was horses, stable.  I had one lady call asking if I had my hives near a hog confinement. I had one lady after sampling dancing around saying over and over, I've got to get this taste out of my mouth, I've got to get this taste out of my mouth. BUT, I've also heard so many times that it is the best, that I will take all I can get. I do strongly warn people that want to sample it, that they will either like it or hate it, and have a spoon full of gool ol clover honey ready to wash it down.

Dr. Oz did a show on the stuff a while back, and it has really drawn some interest. Even prior to that show, I did have a some comment on the medicinal benefits they were experiencing, and there has been quite an assortment of them. It seems to help a lot of ailments.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 02:11:53 pm »
here is what one source says:
"Buckwheat honey is a dark-colored honey that is sweet and delicious, with a distinctive spicy-malt flavor and an aftertaste that is reminiscent of molasses. With a range of vitamins and minerals, as well as polyphenols antioxidants, honey made from buckwheat flowers has many health benefits, too. In fact, this type of honey is now recommended for children under six years of age as a healthier alternative to cough syrup.

One of the main health benefits of buckwheat honey is related to the honey’s dark color. It has been established that dark honeys are generally richer in antioxidants than lighter colored honeys. This is because the antioxidants that are present in honey are one of the chemicals which give it color. Honey made from buckwheat flowers contains a type of antioxidant called polyphenol, which gives the honey its distinctive dark copper color.

Darker honeys such as buckwheat also tend to contain more vitamins and minerals in addition to antioxidants. Buckwheat honey is a minor source of eighteen amino acids. This type of honey also has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can hasten wound healing and may even reduce scarring. "
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-are-the-health-benefits-of-buckwheat-honey.htm

Offline PeeVee

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 04:35:31 pm »
Thanks for all the good info!

Prior the the introduction of a strain of alfalfa that would grow well here in NY, buckwheat was the major cattle forage. So, lots of buckwheat produced lots of buckwheat honey.

We seem to be in the middle of a heat wave here now so may not produce well.

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 10:38:02 pm »
hopefully you get some precip. We didn't get our second crop ( the buckwheat honey), due to the drouth last summer. Plenty of bloom, but very little nectar.