Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tanging a Swarm---Macon, Mississippi Style!  (Read 3782 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Tanging a Swarm---Macon, Mississippi Style!
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:56:29 am »
This is Tanging: http://www.nls.uk/moir/tanging.html

Have to confess I haven't done much of it myself, at least Macon, Mississippi style as I live in the city and well, uh, would be arrested on the spot!

It all started Friday night (April 9, 2010) I removed a young colony between floor joists of a duplex rental unit.

The hive hadn't been there very long, white combs and all, too fragile to cut and transfer, so I just vacuumed 'em up and put them in the back of my truck.

Last week was crazy busy and on top of everything Uncle Bud asked me to come up this past weekend instead of next weekend, so we could go fishin'.

I was plum tired Friday night so I left for Bud's Saturday Morning 3AM.

First thing we did was put the cut out bees in a nuc with feed and drawn out comb. The queen was plump but not moving at all, albeit it was 41F when I got out my truck at Bud's!

We weren't sure if she would make it quite frankly but those bees done nursed her butt right back to life!

Well, we went fishin' and went fishin' yesterday (Sunday) too, had a great time, ribbin' each other back and forth like we do. Even had a nice fish fry with sacalait and bass we caught.

Was saying our goodbyes 5 PM on the dot & heard a swarm brewing, bees all up in the air and such & at that moment I got a taste of Tanging, Macon, Mississippi style!

Long story short, Tanging, Macon, Mississippi style involves a very large, half naked bear of a man shootin' rounds off at a swarm with a 22 pistol, about every 3rd shot, yellin' "they land yet?"

Also involved same such half naked big man racin' down the road on a 4 wheeler, firing rounds, too many too count after same such swarm, while this southern boy laughed so hard my ribs just about popped out!

Maybe you folks that come down in two weeks will get a chance to experience "Tanging", Uncle Bud style!

I know his gun will be ready and loaded and his finger just a twitchin!

BTW, the bees that swarmed were the ones I brought down & yes, they were headed south!

Can you blame them?  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Tanging a Swarm---Macon, Mississippi Style!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 10:08:10 am »
I am so bummed out that you did not take Irwins advice and get that new video camera now. That would have been the best vid ever!!

Those must have been city bees and wanted nothing to do with the country and that crazy fella shooting at them.

Sounds like you had a great time, must never be a dull moment at Buds place.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 10:27:32 am »
Ya can't get rhythm with a 22. Ya need a good drum like ma's old washpot and a long handled wooden spoon. Then ya can play'em down.

Of course, lookin' at that pic of bud, it mighta skeered'em away.  :shock:  :-D  :-D  :evil:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 10:31:51 am »
i  just got up and read this first.  laughed so hard i snorted my coffee.  thanks for the wakeup!!!!!!  :rainbowflower:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 10:34:33 am »
i  just got up and read this first.  laughed so hard i snorted my coffee.  thanks for the wakeup!!!!!!  :rainbowflower:

I thought you folks would get a kick outta the episode.  ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 11:38:07 am »
 :lau: :lau: :lau:

I cannot even imagine how funny that would have been.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 10:08:54 pm »
JP the only thing about your story that I can think would make it the perfect video is to give Bud your fishing net to run around trying to catch the swarm.  :lau: :lau:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 11:39:46 pm »
It all happened so fast I doubt I would have done the episode any justice by videoing the thing, but rest assured the experience was priceless!

Hey, Bud says the swarm came back today and clustered on the bee rack.

If they swarm out again tomorrow, you know Bud's gonna be ready to shoot!  :-D

...JP

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 08:55:12 am »
That's too funny!  They really wanted to come back and land, but didn't dare with that very large, half naked bear of a man shootin' rounds off at 'em!!!  :-D  They waited till he left.....
Rick

anything