Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lost a hive need some consultation  (Read 6560 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Lost a hive need some consultation
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 07:18:13 pm »
Where did your bees come from?

Sacramento Beekeeping Supply last April. Italians

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 08:06:31 pm »
Hi Annette,
Just wanted to say sorry about your bees  :(
I hope the other hive is doing OK.

This is my 1st year and I haven't experienced losing a hive, but I would be soo...bummed if it happened.
Gosh, you put so much into them!

Sorry,
Paul

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 11:44:18 pm »
I'm so sorry, Annette.  I remember how I felt looking at my starved-over-the-winter hive with their pitiful little heads all thrust into the cells and a whole box of solid honey above them.

We're about to have 17 degree nights for the next three and I have one small cluster hive that may not make it.

You have my sympathy - it's hard to lose bees and feel like maybe there was something you could have done differently.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 01:20:00 pm »
Hi Annette,
Just wanted to say sorry about your bees  :(
I hope the other hive is doing OK.

This is my 1st year and I haven't experienced losing a hive, but I would be soo...bummed if it happened.
Gosh, you put so much into them!

Sorry,
Paul

The other hive (knock on wood) is doing great right now. Hope to split them this coming Spring. Thanks for the support

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 01:22:55 pm »
I'm so sorry, Annette.  I remember how I felt looking at my starved-over-the-winter hive with their pitiful little heads all thrust into the cells and a whole box of solid honey above them.

We're about to have 17 degree nights for the next three and I have one small cluster hive that may not make it.

You have my sympathy - it's hard to lose bees and feel like maybe there was something you could have done differently.

Linda T in Atlanta

Yes Linda, I am always watching how you are doing and read your blog everyday. Let me know about this little cluster as I want to know if they make it .
Good Luck
Annette

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 06:59:33 pm »
Your analysis sounds right to me. Was the hive small to begin with or was it doing really well then when you checked it now there was a very small cluster? I learned my first year that if you only have enough bees to fill one box then you should overwinter them in one box.  If I have a hive that is 2 deeps but for what ever reason there is not a lot of bees I take one of the deeps off and consolidate the stores into the remaining box and shake the bees into it. I am sure that others feel differently about this but it has worked for me here in Pa. I know people say that the bees only heat there cluster not the inside of the hive witch is true, but if heat if coming off the cluster and going into a large space it is wasted. If it is going into a smaller space it has to be conserved a little at least. This would be why bees who set up open hives in trees usually die over winter.

This hive appeared to be very strong in October and filled all 3 medium supers. The only thing that was strange about this hive, was they never built up properly. They did not want to take the sugar syrup I gave them. I mean they took it, but not enough to bring the wt up to snuff. That is why I ended up dumping a whole bunch of bakers sugar on  the top super.

That lack of build up means there were too few late hatching bees to see the hive through the winter.  Late hatching bees are tweeked to have a longer life spand than spring or summer raised bees. That lack of late hatch bees doomed the hive due to low cluster size once the remaining summer bees died off.  The way to avert that is to pull frames of brood for strong hive and put into the weaker hive.  For instance: If you have 4 strong hives and one weak one that just can't seem to build up, and its too late in the year to effectively requeen and produce enough late hatch brood, borrowing a frame of brood from each of the other 4 hives will give an adequate population of late brood to see the hive through the winter.  The other hives shouldn't be too adversely affected with the removal of just 1 frame of brood.  Then slate that hive for requeening when possible.  Poor brood production is a queen problem, not a worker problem.  Genetics that are passed from mother to daugther so rearing a queen from such a hive is just perpetuating the problem. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 08:21:13 pm »
Thanks Brian, Good Info

anything