Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Will Honey Be Ok In The Spring?  (Read 2350 times)

Offline funbee1

• New Bee
Will Honey Be Ok In The Spring?
« on: October 03, 2012, 09:48:46 pm »
This has been my first Spring/Summer and now Fall beekeeping and I've learned a ton.

My hives have huge mite counts and many of the guys I've talked to say they doubt the bees will survive the Winter, especially without treating them.

I don't want to use chemicals to treat my bees, I talked to a couple guys who don't treat. One said he gets better bees, he makes splits from the hives that do survive. The other guy said it was dollars and cents, he could save the money on treatments, harvest ALL the honey, buy new packages in the Spring and be way further ahead. New package start great with existing comb...bla,bla,bla.

I don't want to use chemicals, but I don't want to just sacrifice my bees either so I've left my hives right around 100lbs. each to try to give them a chance to make it.

If they die off due to mites would the honey in the hive still be usable?

Thanks as always,
scott

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Will Honey Be Ok In The Spring?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 10:01:38 pm »
When your bees die off, freeze the whole hive before moths and beetles ruin the frames.  When you buy new bees in the spring, put them in that hive.  The frames, comb, and honey will be ok and give the new bees a jump in the spring.   But there are treatment that are safe to save your bees.   

Offline funbee1

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 10:22:42 pm »
Thanks for the advice Allen.

Which type of treatment would you reccommend that doesn't chemicals?
 The only ones I',m aware of are the powdered sugar which I heard didn't really work that well and some mineral oil vaporizer set up.

thanks, scott

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 10:40:26 pm »
I used Hopsguard this year.   Miteaway quick strips are ok also.   Both are pricy but cheaper than new bees.   

Offline Gord

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 09:55:08 pm »
I use food grade mineral oil and wintergreen in a fogger.
1 drop wintergreen per ounce of oil.
Look at youtube Fatbeeman has a video.

Offline Fox Creek

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 01:10:00 am »
Hello Scott, I too am new to beekeeping. I lost my first two hives last year to starvation. ( late snow storm) Could not have felt worse. Determined, I bought four hives this spring and so far so good. I'm by no means expert at anything in beekeeping.
As to your mite problem. After reading "Complete Idiots Guide" I sent for small cell plastic frames from Mann Lake. These arrived in time for my packaged bees. My Carniolans have had no problems building comb on these. After my bees built several frames of comb, I placed foundationless frames between. I did this so the bees could build what they want. I will tell you now. I have not seen a single mite in any of my hives. I use no chemicals.
Please do yourself a favor and read the Idiots Guide and also " The practical Beekeeper" By Michael Bush. I have become a believer in small cell.
I would be interested in how thing work out for you.

Fox Creek
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 05:35:16 pm by Fox Creek »