Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
SHB
« on: March 08, 2014, 03:53:21 pm »
I was looking at some of the dead SHB's in the oil pans under my hives. To me they look bigger than the 1/8" hardware cloth holes. It seems things (plants and bugs) get bigger here in Hawai'i. I wonder if its because we don't have a cold Winter here they can develop into a bigger critter? I don't even have an opening at the top of the hive due to SHB's. Just another way they can get into the hive.

I was thinking of going to a larger mesh screen but I'm not seeing any 3/16" on the internet so I'm guessing they don't make that size. Am I wrong?? I know bees require 3/8" opening to pass through. Can they get through a 1/4" screen?

Mahalo

Offline chux

• House Bee
Re: SHB
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 05:39:39 pm »
They can go through 1/4 inch. A little tight, but they can get through.

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 06:16:36 pm »
Bummer... so much for that idea. Hmmm wonder if I put a sign up saying "don't go through screen".... LOL

Thanks for the reply!!

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 02:48:54 am »
I use the IPK traps from green beehives. They use a #6 mesh. When I built my long hives I wanted this same setup since it works so well.
I googled #6 mesh and found one place that sold it in a quantity I could afford. I cant remember their name but I remember it's really pricy.
It really works though.

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 10:12:35 am »
I've been using the beetle blaster oil trays in my lang hives. You can put oil in there to drown the beetles, or a bit of bait which will kill them in the trap. The trap fills up, I dump it out and redeploy. If your beetles are too big to fit in the well holes, you could easily cut the hols a little bigger. And these things are cheap!!!! 

Oh, they sit on the top bars of the frames. Easy to get to and check/emtpy.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 10:27:36 am »
There is a #5 hardware cloth or screen available.
I found some on Amazon.com
I'm using beetle barns from Rossmans supply.
I put bait inside and the beetle enter and don't come out.
They are re-usable.
SHB are a problem here in Central Arkansas too.
I'm going back to a solid bottom board for I have to treat for varroa and small hive beetles anyway and I've found the bees have brood deeper into the lower box with solid bottom boards.
I have screened and solid bottom boards and have found there is little difference between the two other than brood raising is better with the solid bottom boards.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 11:19:21 am »
i'm phasing out my screened bottoms this year too.  i can't see where they made any difference.  i pulled all my beetle barns over the weekend.  i don't see where they've made a huge difference either.  you trap some but there are still plenty more in the hives with problems.

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 01:46:32 pm »
thanks a bunch for the information on how the #works with cloth size. I've been building oil traps that my beek friend had plans for so I've been using that design. Rather large but seems to help a little. As I get more hives, I'd like to experiment to see if what I'm making is worth it for me. Very time consuming to build what I'm using. I'll take some photos of one to post.

Again, thanks!