Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: queen rejection  (Read 3972 times)

Offline wd

• Field Bee
queen rejection
« on: April 04, 2010, 03:29:46 pm »
I checked 2, 1 deep boxes this morning for the possibility of another queen after finding to queens rejected.

Hive 1 has some open queen cells, capped drone cells and drones walking about on every frame, there is some capped brood, didn't see any new brood but the bees were really thick and I may have missed it. I didn't brush any bees off, basically just watched and rechecked each frame 3 times.

Hive 2 is the same but has one capped queen cell that I noticed.

I've done a search and read through these two threads

Finding the queen http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,22817.0.html 

Locating the queen http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,20932.0.html

I've found a few techniques I didn't try, I'd still like to ask what you may think

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: queen rejection
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 03:35:27 pm »
just takes some practice.  easier to look for eggs and larvae.  when you find the frames with eggs, she'll usually be there or next to it.  wait a few days and check again.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 05:33:56 pm »
will do ...

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:41:43 am by wd »

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 09:02:38 pm »
The original queen doesn't have to be in there.  If you removed her or she was accidentally killed and emergency cells were started, they could be queen right.  If you wait over 48 hours after a queen is removed or accidentally killed, and there are eggs or larvae at the proper age, the bees will start queen cells.  Once these cells are started, the hive will soon become queen right.  Been there and done that.  Queens need to be introduced in 24 hours or less in my opinion for a queen to best be accepted.  Others may chime in, but I think I am right.

Mark
Starting my 3rd year and still having a ball!

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 01:47:16 am »
The original queen doesn't have to be in there.  If you removed her or she was accidentally killed and emergency cells were started, they could be queen right.  If you wait over 48 hours after a queen is removed or accidentally killed, and there are eggs or larvae at the proper age, the bees will start queen cells.  Once these cells are started, the hive will soon become queen right.  Been there and done that.  Queens need to be introduced in 24 hours or less in my opinion for a queen to best be accepted.  Others may chime in, but I think I am right.

Mark

excuse me, just noticed your comment... thanks for the insight.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 04:31:32 am by wd »

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 02:41:26 pm »
Checked yesterday. I did find a queen in hive 1, she was on the last frame trying to hide under a layer of bees. There was also a nubby capped queen cell in this one. couldn't find a queen in any of the others but they all have capped queen cells.

Personally, I think they are now in the "building queen cell mode". Whether I like it or not they will not accept a new queen and the process would be pointless to try and stop. I'm going to get out of the way and let them sort it.

discovered I didn't have my smoker in the box after I suited up. all went well in that sense.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 01:20:13 am »
a queen - not sure why my camera did this, maybe the screen on the veil? its the only one took.

had to go check on feed .. made sure I had my smoker