Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: OK I hived them yesterday...  (Read 2384 times)

Offline zzen01

• House Bee
OK I hived them yesterday...
« on: April 19, 2009, 08:38:12 pm »
I just went up to where I put my hives and I saw a few going in and out of the enternace reducer. I did not hear any BUZZZZZ coming from the inside of the hives. The weather is kinda cool and windy today(61 w nnw 16 kts). Is everything alright? I am concerned!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: OK I hived them yesterday...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 08:55:46 pm »
Not to worry. The first few days are days where they are organizing and getting use to the new set up. In a few days or so you should begin to see the hive come alive with traffic to and fro, weather permitting of course.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline rickomatic

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 09:08:40 pm »
Allow me to chime in as a newbee. I hived my first ever 2 packages on Wednesday, here in the Seattle area. It was above 50 degrees, but just barely. I saw a little bit of activity on Thursday in the form of a few coming and going, like you've seen. On Friday, it warmed up a bit, and there were literally hundreds of bees doing orientation flights in front of and around the hives. Saturday you could see them really coming and going from somewhere, and today I filmed a good half hour of video of the close up and could clearly see them coming in with several types of pollen. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I'm having a ball watching the video of my girls....LOL. Hey....we watched video of the kids' soccer and baseball when they were young.....is this so different?    :-D

Offline artsie26

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 09:40:06 pm »
ricomatic - I'm so jealous...my bees come in this Friday, and I can't wait. I can relate to you taking video of your girls. I don't do that (YET) but I do take photo's of them. I like to recruit a helper...usually a not so willing son, and have them hold a frame full of bees while I take pictures, then after I print out the pictures I get a real good look at what was going on. The kids like to play I spy with the photos ..., looking for the queen, or picking out anything interesting.

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 05:24:56 pm »
Artsie26,
           Are you getting your bees through the Don Myers Foundation deal the state is doing?  I am just curious as we had quite few new bees at our local club meeting yesterday who said they were getting their bees on Friday also and that was through that program.

Offline artsie26

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 07:32:06 am »
jd-
       I really couldn't say...I placed an order with someone from my local meeting in March, but I'm not sure where they were getting them from. I do know they were supposed to be in this past Friday, but they put us off another week. And last weekend was picture perfect....I'm crossing my fingers for a repeat. What county are you in? I'm in Portage.
                     artsie

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 11:05:09 am »
I am in Columbiana County.  Thanks for the reply.

anything