Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Robbing the trapout  (Read 2208 times)

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
Robbing the trapout
« on: September 05, 2009, 09:40:54 am »
The trap out that I have been working for the past couple of weeks + is one where I am unable to set up a catching hive for various reasons, instead, vacuuming the bees trying to get back in every evening.

The question that I have relates to robbing out the colony once I have no more bees exiting the cone, how do I encourage getting the honey and uncapped nectar robbed out. I have been thinking of setting up a nuc at the cone position after it has been removed and putting honey around the entrance/s to the colony.

Any other suggestions??

Mick

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Robbing the trapout
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 11:55:16 am »
Mick, I am surprised that you didn't get any answers from your query, too bad.  I would like to hear how you made out with it, please tell that tale.  Have a great, and most awesome day, beautiful health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 04:51:35 pm »
Hi Cindi, At the moment I am in Sydney competing in the World Masters Games in the archery, so my reply is abbreviated by my absence from Brisbane. The trapout went well and when I left Brisbane the cone had no more bees exiting so I thought that I would leave it on until the 23rd when I return. At that time I intend to remove the cone and put a nuc at the entrance in the hope that they will rob our the what is left of the colony. I dont expect that it will  need to be in position for too long as the colony was very young. I will however leave them with a super of foundationless frames to work with should there be more than I expect.... all they have to do is find the entrance :)

I'll let you know how I get on

Mick

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 07:44:31 pm »
That's a great question.  I will be doing a trapout on a hive that has been around in a hollow adobe house for at least 4 years so I suspect it will be rather large. I didn't think about the getting them to rob it back part.  I shall be waiting and learning.

To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 12:01:20 pm »
Good, OK then, Mick.....we'll wait.  Have that wonderful and great day, health. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything