Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Acquiring bees  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Captadamr

• New Bee
Acquiring bees
« on: October 02, 2008, 01:54:34 am »
Hello all,

The biggest hurtle I have run into with trying to keep bees is well, getting the bees! My Island is 180 miles from Miami and I can’t jump into the car and take a ride to pick up bees. My question really is how long bees can survive transport. I have 2 choices, either fly over to Florida, hopefully find some one near Miami or Fort Lauderdale who sells bees either as package bees or nucs, jump on a charter plane from the executive airport in Fort Laud and bring the bee’s home. 2nd choice is to order them if anyone will ship them internationally (fed-ex??) and have them delivered. Shipping by boat would take way too long and I would be afraid of the bees overheating during shipment in a shipping container.

I don’t think I have ever seen a swarm here, found a hive in an old tire when just a kid, but never saw a swarm hanging in a tree. Is there is certain time of the year that they swarm in these warm climates?

My best chance is on another island about 40 miles away, there is someone who sells honey to shops here, but I don’t know if they sell bees or how enthusiastic they would be to sell them given that they are a commercial honey producer.

Sorry if this was a bit of a rant, just have allot of questions and very little resources over here.

thanks
Adam R.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: Acquiring bees
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 06:39:40 am »
if you will update your profile so we know where you are, it could help us help you , might be someone here from your island already that could share what they did.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Captadamr

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 07:59:21 am »
profile is current, joined recently. Live in Nassau in the Bahamas

Offline MacfromNS

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 08:10:54 am »
Do you know of any other beek on the island or maybe find a wild hive.
The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling.
And even more beautiful is knowing that you are the reason behind it!!!
Mac

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 09:10:52 am »
you'd probably need to check with your authorities 1st to se if you can import bees. They might also be able to point you to someone local who can/will sell you bees

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 09:30:04 am »
Look for Glory Bee apiaries in Nassau. He might be able to help you.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Captadamr

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 05:41:08 pm »
Ive found Glory bee in nassau, New York, but not in the Bahamas.....\

There used to be someone keeping bees @ an adult rehab center, but it burned to the ground and havent tracked down the hives.   Im going to pass by the Ministry of Agriculture to see if they can help me out.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 08:15:37 pm »

GloryBee
Festival Place, Prince George Wharf
Manager: Mr. Kirk Deleveaux
P.O. Box CB-12979
Nassau, The Bahamas
Phone: 242-362-1883
glorybee@bahamasnet.bs
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Captadamr

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 11:38:24 am »
Thanks for that contact info. Someone gave me his tel # today, but didnt know he had a business.

The one issue this guy who used to keep bees years ago, told me that the feral bees here arent as mild, as well they dont have the productivity that the domestic bees in the USA have.

Does anyone have information on bees suppliers in Central or better yet South Florida.

Lastly since im on an Island, I cant just run out and get what  I need spur of the moment, shipping is usually a week unless your chunking out huge $$$. Does anyone have a list somewhere of what I would need to get started and for the first few months, so I can order everything in one shot? Also any reccomdations for suppliers of equipment.

Thankss

Capt Adam R> 

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 12:24:24 pm »
I just called Mark McCoy
1586 D Road.
Loxahatchee, Fl
561 798 1120

He only sells bees and queens but I believe he is out right now.
He lives about 5 miles from me. If he has something in stock maybe i can mail you a package or two.
However Mark does not sell hardware like boxes and such. You would probably have to get that from Dadant or Brushy Mountain. You are probably better off making your own in and trying to buy wood locally since shipping will probably be nasty.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 01:05:13 pm »
If you have local bees that are defensive, find a swarm and requeen w/ a purchased queen from internet.  Put an ad in local paper, call extermnators, fire stations, polica and offer your removal services to get bees. You could also make a Top bar hive and save loads on shipping costs.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Captadamr

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 02:51:31 pm »
The bees being defensive is what i was told, We had a hive in an old tree when i was younger and i almost walked into the hive, walking along the wall and not paying attention, and they could care less.
That is the only wild hive other than the one in the tractor tire that i have come across

After asking around I found somemore infor on this farm in Andros about a hour by boat. It is supposedly some Missions farm, so maybe they will allow me to come snoop around for a few days and get a good idea on what happens day to day as well as gather some specific info about our climate and bees.

I have delt with a shippping company that transports frozen foods and perishables by a small aircraft, maybe If i can get them, I could convince them to ship over some package bees or nucs.

Sorry to be a pain, but what other equipment, ie antibiotics, fungacides, insecticides etc should i have when starting?

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 03:36:22 pm »
Bare minimum equipment

If you do Top Bar Hive
smoker
hive tool
veil
barrel
sticks for frames
plywood for top
suit if you want

For langstroth hive-repeat first 3 items from top

frames
foundation(not always needed) or starter sticks
hive bodies( minimum of 2 deeps, 3 mediums per hive or 6 mediums)
bottom boards
tops-piece of plywood works

This is bare minumum in all likelihood
If you do a top bar hive, it is probably all available locally, even on an island
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

anything