Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to place a queen/cage in a hive with foundationless frames  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Can someome tell me how to place the queen/cage in the hive with foundationless frames. Photos would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: How to place a queen/cage in a hive with foundationless frames
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 03:17:33 pm »
Just like you would with frames with foundation.   I wouldn't leave the cage in too long otherwise they will build comb around it and you will have a mess.  You may even consider direct release to avoid bad comb issues.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 03:35:39 pm »
OK!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 09:14:04 pm by Shawn »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 09:45:35 pm »
>Can someome tell me how to place the queen/cage in the hive with foundationless frames.

Pop the cork on the non-candy end and put it in the bottom of the hive before she gets out and walk away.  :)  Or peel back the screen while holding it down in the hive facing the cluster...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 02:49:33 am »
Push a thumb tack in the bottom of the queen cage(not all they way through). Push the pin in the candy side. Take a paper clip and leave a J on the bottom. Make a T on the top. Wrap the J around the tack. Remove the cork on the candy side and make a small hole in the candy. Place the T between the two frames. So the cage is suspended. If any of the workers in the cage die they fall to the bottom so they don't block the entrance.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

anything