Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: muskrats  (Read 14655 times)

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
Re: muskrats
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 11:48:41 pm »
The simplest way I know to get rid of muskrats is to put a 110 conibear trap over the entrance until you have them trapped out.

You can also raise the level of water in your pond.  Muskrats start digging their hole underwater, but then they dig up above water level to have their den and raise their babies.  If the water level is within 6 inches of the top of the dam, they don't have room to build a den above water level.

You can also line the edge of the pond with several inches of sand.  When they try to dig a den, the sand just collapses the entrance.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 07:18:57 am »
My dad said to roast them on a seasoned board over a nice fire.  Then throw 'em away and eat the board-lol!

I haven't had them myself but apparently according to many your Dad is mistaken about the taste.

I will ask my neighbor across the street what he used to do with them. I know he used to live in the swamp, trap them and eat them, he said they were very good eating.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 08:45:15 pm »
My dad said to roast them on a seasoned board over a nice fire.  Then throw 'em away and eat the board-lol!

That's a common recipe for fixing carp.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 09:46:29 pm »
Ya'll are making me feel guilty for leaving them in the water after shooting them, and not cooking them.

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2011, 01:14:38 pm »
... they are fine table fare... Use to sell them... back in my younger days!

Ditto, in my youth there was a certian resturant where the local elite went to meet and eat.  It had a Continental savoir faire.  One of the menu items was "marsh hare."  You had to leave one paw on the muskrat so the resturant owner could be sure you were not selling him road kill.  Now if the DHLS got word of something like this they would waterboard the poor kid.

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2011, 10:17:46 pm »
A local sportsmans club has an annual wild game supper.  Muskrat is considered one of the best meats.

Ya'll are making me feel guilty for leaving them in the water after shooting them, and not cooking them.

Just remember to remove the musk glands - they are called MUSKrats for a reason.  Even if you don't eat them, something will.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 03:45:21 pm »
Talk about muskrat love.

Offline IAFF

• New Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 04:16:31 pm »
Average $7.25 for mine at the VTA fur sale.  Glands will only be found in the spring.  FYI they can carry tularemia.  Apple on stick with foothold  or 110 coni best methods.  Youtube has numerous videos of rat trapping/skinning/stretching fur.  Easiest furbearer to catch IMO.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 07:45:15 am »
So I have had carp that I bowfished. Heard they were a delicacy in France. The meat was actually rather good, it was the "y" bones that were such a pain in the butt to deal with. And that's even after the fish is filleted.

Anyone else eat carp, what's your best recipe and how do you deal with the "y" bones?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2011, 09:03:21 am »
So I have had carp that I bowfished. Heard they were a delicacy in France. The meat was actually rather good, it was the "y" bones that were such a pain in the butt to deal with. And that's even after the fish is filleted.

Anyone else eat carp, what's your best recipe and how do you deal with the "y" bones?

...JP
Crab bait and bear bait Coon bait  :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 12:58:48 pm »

...JP
I dont but can tell you that a pickled fish recipe that the fish is soaked in white vinegar for 24 hours and in salt water for 24 hours. Then placed in sweet wine brine will taste great and the y-bones all desolve.   I use this recipe for small pike that are loaded with y-bones

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2011, 01:47:56 pm »
So I have had carp that I bowfished. Heard they were a delicacy in France.

That's not saying much,since they consider snails a delicacy too!!

My relatives in SW Minnesota have had carp in the past, they smoke it, smoked it tastes pretty much like any other smoked fish.  And I think they've canned it too.

I just remember my dad getting a fit of the dry heaves as they were cleaning the carp...it didn't appeal to him at all!

Around here freshwater drum - sheepheads gets a bad rap - it has a downturned mouth and looks like a carp so most people won't touch it.  Other than the bones, it is pretty good.

Rick
Rick

Offline oliver

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 01:55:32 pm »
Scale them and fillet, cut the meat side to the skin in 1/2" squares, deep fry, this usually gets rid of the  y bones, still be careful eating, ate a lot of these growing up,, have a good day

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 01:57:47 pm »

My relatives in SW Minnesota have had carp in the past, they smoke it, smoked it tastes pretty much like any other smoked fish.  And I think they've canned it too.

I just remember my dad getting a fit of the dry heaves as they were cleaning the carp...it didn't appeal to him at all!

Around here freshwater drum - sheepheads gets a bad rap - it has a downturned mouth and looks like a carp so most people won't touch it.  Other than the bones, it is pretty good.

Rick

dats a choupiq not a sheephead. A sheephead is a saltwater great eating fish

Keith

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2011, 02:23:12 pm »

Rick

dats a choupiq not a sheephead. A sheephead is a saltwater great eating fish

Keith
You are both right.   sheepshead is a saltwater or brackish water fish if your near the ocean but here in the midwest freshwater drum are also called sheephead even in the dictionary.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freshwater_drum

anything