Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: deep woods off  (Read 2370 times)

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
deep woods off
« on: July 10, 2015, 09:25:01 pm »
When Im in the garden watering i have to use bug spray ( off ) does that smell make the bees upset,if i go to the hive after

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
Re: deep woods off
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 08:59:42 am »
I don't like being a blood donor while I'm working my hives. I use it all the time and never had a problem.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline Cricket

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 10:26:03 pm »
I don't seem to have any issues either with it. It does keep the chiggers and blood suckers off you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 01:02:50 pm »
I researched mosquito traps & repellants recently. We've had an incredibly wet Spring/early Summer, and with the end of the rains come the mosquitoes. I found a garlic oil spray ( concentrate) that does a pretty darn good job of keeping them at bay. I might get a bite (or three), without DEET, rather than a dozen. DEET works, but you know - YUK.

There is a strong garlic odor while spraying ( it's 99%+ garlic oil) which dissipates after about 20 minutes. It is applied with a common pump up weed sprayer. It costs about $35/qt, shipped, and one good dose around the lot lasts ~ 2-3 weeks, and costs about $4-$5 per treatment.

I'd "recommend it to a friend". I'll be buying the gallon size when the quart is gone.
The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 07:55:17 pm »
the smell of Garlic always makes me hungry...I woudl be craving Pizza every time I worked the hives LOL.
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 08:28:15 pm »
Does it repel deer flies and horse flies? I was checking the hives today and I thought I got stung when I was actually being bitten by flies. I did get stung but not as many times as I was bitten.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 09:24:57 pm »
I'll take deet or bites, even both, over garlic. I guess you have never worked in a hot boiler room with a guy who drank a lot of beer and ate a lot of garlic the night before.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 10:50:53 am »
I'll take deet or bites, even both, over garlic. I guess you have never worked in a hot boiler room with a guy who drank a lot of beer and ate a lot of garlic the night before.

I love garlic... It must have been the beer...
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 11:20:29 am »
It smells like baking garlic bread while applying it. The smell goes away after about 20 minutes. There is NO lingering odor.

It lasts ~ 2-4 weeks, depending on how much it rains.
I'm not sure what else it works on but the bees don't seem to mind it. I don't spray the hives, just the nearby bushes & undergrowth.

My wife is absolutely thrilled to have the rear deck back ( without the Tikki torches & Deep Woods Off)

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 01:38:49 pm »
I wonder if it would make a dent in these voracious south Florida condor's trying to pass themselves off as mosquitoes? Can you link the manufacturers website please?
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 01:52:24 pm »
Eric, if you google horse fly trap there's some ideas there. The one I "was" going to build had a jar sitting on top of a semi teepee. From what I've read these work pretty good. My poor ol goats go in the shed trying to escape them.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 02:01:51 pm »
> The smell goes away after about 20 minutes.

Maybe that's how long it takes for your brain to filter it out... ;)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 12:12:10 am »
I sprayed it, & them asked my wife & son when they could no longer smell it. Hint: DO NOT leave the swamp cooler on while spraying :wink:

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 08:06:29 am »
Eric, if you google horse fly trap there's some ideas there. The one I "was" going to build had a jar sitting on top of a semi teepee. From what I've read these work pretty good. My poor ol goats go in the shed trying to escape them.
Thanks for the idea. I am going to try to build one this weekend.

anything