Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dipping New Boxes  (Read 4180 times)

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
Dipping New Boxes
« on: January 23, 2010, 06:02:49 pm »
Is there any reason why new boxes cannot be cooked in a mixture of linseed oil and beeswax :?

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
Re: Dipping New Boxes
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 09:29:21 pm »
I went that route with a topbar hive I experimented with. Pretty time-consuming, costly, but fun :) I found it later to allow for some mold/mildew and overall have chosen to use good ol' white paint.
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 09:48:23 pm »
What do you think may have caused the mildew and mould?

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 09:54:39 pm »
Good question... Not positive but likely it needed 1 or 2 more coats of the oil/wax. If you are in a wet climate I'd suggest being liberal with the application. Have fun!
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 11:12:18 pm »
Is there any reason why new boxes cannot be cooked in a mixture of linseed oil and beeswax :?

Mardak ..................

Look at this hope at help you.

http://bushfarms.com/beesdipping.htm

BEE HAPPY Jim  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 07:44:31 am »
I painted lawn furniture with linseed oil and a black fungus grew all over them. You could not sit on the chairs without getting it on your clothing. I painted boiled linseed oil on some hive boxes last summer and have no problems so far.

Offline podius

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 10:51:07 am »
It's kinda late to post here I know, but I just saw this. I restore log/cedar homes for a living and have your answer on the mold issue. Linseed oil has sugars in it and mold loves sugar. A solution would be to mix a borate with your oil, downside is that borates have insecticides in them.

This is now my second year and what I've done with my hives is put on a good quality log home stain on most of my hives, left a few alone, and had a few in white. The results of the ones left alone are that they are covered in black mold. The ones I stained still look great. I stained the lids and they tended not to warp and still look good. I chose to use ArmstrongClark stain, It's a great no brainer stain that has great track record. When it needs a recoat, you just wash the hives down in a little bleach water and restain. You can use a pump up sprayer to stain them, no brushing. You can Stack 'em a dozen high, use a pump up to apply the bleach, let it sit for about 10 minutes, rinse 'em off, come back in about an hour and spray the stain on and you're done. *from my experience the stain will last 3 years and if using a telescopic cover and high off the ground, it could last up to 5 years.

**I would warn that I'm still experimenting with this because stain has insecticides in it and could kill the bees if any got on the inside of the hive. I also let the hives defume for a couple of weeks before using them. I also didn't stack all stained boxes on one hive, I mixed them. This year I will experiment further, but so far they're alive and the wood looks fantastic. It would probably be even more beneficial to let them air out all winter, the fumes stick around for about 6 months.
John VT
Spooner, WI(Northwest WI-up in the nose)
equipment---All medium 10 frame boxes, top entrance's, no foundation frames and mann lake pf 120's (7 hives)

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 01:55:20 pm »

The standard method is 2 parts paraffin and 1 part gum rosin no linseed oil.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 02:53:19 am »
jasco termin #8 brown works real good and is cheap.
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
  • "Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 03:16:22 am »
About using jasco termin #8 brown
READ this then decide!
http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/registration/canot/ca00-5.pdf

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 10:21:18 pm »
I cook mine in beeswax and rosin... linseed oil is even more flamable...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 07:20:57 am »
In Australia we do not seem to have rosin. Any idea of the equivalent?

Offline wd

• Field Bee

anything