Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Homemade HBH question  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
Homemade HBH question
« on: July 25, 2012, 08:32:54 pm »
When you make homemade HBH is there a certain type of lecithin to use  or is it all soy lecithin ?

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: Homemade HBH question
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 02:00:19 am »
  use the liquid type -it is sometimes difficult to get the crystal type to dissolve completely--RDY-B

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:15:14 pm »
I use the crumb type, at least it sure doesn't look like a crystal to me.  The capsules when broken are more grease that doesn't like to go into suspension and coats everything.  I put my LGO and whatever other oils in a coke bottle and put in a couple tablespoons of the crumbs and fill half full with syrup and shake the bejesus out of it.   Then I encorporate it into my buckets of feed.  Not saying it is th only way but My wife wants a new blender that doesn't smell like wintergreen already. 

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:45:34 pm »
 yes crystals is a poor choice of words they are granuals   :lol: -but they dont melt easy-
try the liquid form--here is the brand i use--

http://www.iherb.com/Fearn-Natural-Food-Liquid-Lecithin-32-fl-oz-946-L/11908
 ;) RDY-B

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 11:02:45 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys. I just bought some of the liquid type tonight on the way home from Vitamin Shoppe of the same brand that RDY-B had the link for. I got the recipe from one of you one the forum but i saw none of the wintergreen like Vance mentioned. I have some but might be too much with the spearmint and lemon grass oils together with wintergreen. What do you guys think ?

Offline d_fixitman

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 11:14:23 pm »
LoL Vance G my wife has already requested a new blender as well.
Dwayne

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 11:32:25 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys. I just bought some of the liquid type tonight on the way home from Vitamin Shoppe of the same brand that RDY-B had the link for. I got the recipe from one of you one the forum but i saw none of the wintergreen like Vance mentioned. I have some but might be too much with the spearmint and lemon grass oils together with wintergreen. What do you guys think ?
wintergreen oil has a toxicity to it and is used for mite control with other oils like tea tree
 oil--that being said the spearmint and lemon grass will get you where you want to be -RDY-B

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 10:27:09 pm »
wintergreen oil has a toxicity to it and is used for mite control with other oils like tea tree
 oil--that being said the spearmint and lemon grass will get you where you want to be -RDY-B

Well now, that being said I may have to rethink my tactics. I wanted to make some of coarse for feeding if needed for some splits but also for some spray on the colony after removal of supers for some mite control. I will have to get some tee tree oil and make two different batches. one for feed and one for spray. Do you have any recommendations on the wintergreen and tea tree mix recipe ?

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 11:03:54 pm »
 the way winter green works is its feed in the syrup and the bees feed the larva-there is a                                            measurable level of the wintergreen in the royal jelly -it is that kills the mite once it emercies itself in the cell
i have posted studies by USDA on this site about essential oils-have you given any Thought to maybe thymol in the syrup
 instead--it seams to be very popular--

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?seq_no_115=230111

this may help you understand the method of delivery-- :)  RDY-B
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 11:14:22 pm by rdy-b »

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 10:31:49 pm »
the way winter green works is its feed in the syrup and the bees feed the larva-there is a                                            measurable level of the wintergreen in the royal jelly -it is that kills the mite once it emercies itself in the cell
i have posted studies by USDA on this site about essential oils-have you given any Thought to maybe thymol in the syrup
 instead--it seams to be very popular--

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?seq_no_115=230111

this may help you understand the method of delivery-- :)  RDY-B
Thanks for the info. I will have to try different configurations to some small scale hives so i can compare results.