Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Foundationless with unstamped sheets  (Read 4063 times)

Offline Snowhitsky

• New Bee
Foundationless with unstamped sheets
« on: May 29, 2014, 10:20:00 am »
I'm a beginner and I've read about different techniques but one thing puzzles me about foundationless: assuming one has a stock of unpolluted wax, why not use unstamped sheets? Wouldn't it allow the bees to build the cells they want where they want whilst allowing the use of wire?

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
Re: Foundationless with unstamped sheets
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 05:33:47 am »
I am confused about the question. Bees build comb. it's what they do. You can still use wire without using foundation, bees will build right over it, and they will build whatever cell size they want to build while doing it. using a blank, bees will potentially re-work it, but that is actually making them do more work than they need to do, as they build cells not blanks, and the cells are specifically designed and offset on each side. furthermore, one had to be somewhat careful I think in how they work the wax, and the wax they work to make the blank may not actually be as good as just letting the bees do what they do...which is make wax and build comb. They love doing it. every conversation I have had with bees, each of them have told me so, plus it gives them something to do. idles legs are the devils playground, and they have too many legs, as well as mandibles to allow to be idle. go ahead and use the blank for a small starter strip though 1 or 2 cells wide is fine to let them run their own comb straight.

Offline Spear

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 03:05:58 pm »
Before the patterned foundation sheets were 'invented' beekeepers used blank foundation sheets to make the comb stronger so they would not blow out so easily in the extractor. So the bees don't mind the blank foundation at all.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 04:53:02 am »
when I said potentially re-work it, it isn't based on it being 'blank' as opposed to patterned but rather when he said "assuming one has a stock of unpolluted wax, ", and them making it themselves.

Offline Snowhitsky

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 03:26:06 pm »
Thanks for your answers.

Basically, I am curious as to whether a blank would be useful and/or speed up the drawing out of comb.

Offline marktrl

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 06:56:58 pm »
No, blank sheet would be slower than foundationless or stamped foundation. They would have to rework the wax.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 04:03:27 pm »
>why not use unstamped sheets?

Because as marktrl said, they build it slower with the sheet than if you don't use anything but some kind of guide to get it in the frame.  The wax slows them down.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin