Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small swarm in a small compost bucket  (Read 2904 times)

Offline rwurster

• House Bee
Small swarm in a small compost bucket
« on: June 17, 2013, 07:41:23 pm »
This is only the second swarm call I've gotten this year, both swarms were small and almost 2 months later than they were last year.  They had moved into this small compost bucket when I got to the residence.

One shake and they took to the nuc like they were happy to be out of the smaller compost bin lol.  I have to go pick them up before dusk.  Sure do wish this drought would end so we will have more swarms next year!
Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
Facebook Link

Offline thatguy324

• New Bee
Re: Small swarm in a small compost bucket
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:16:44 pm »
did you have a veil and did you get stung?

Offline rwurster

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 11:05:26 am »
No veil, no stings, no smoke, just a good shake and they had a new home.  They drew a small piece of comb so this was going to be their home.  Their queen is a nice golden color and was laying as of yesterday, looked like a newly mated queen as the eggs were haphazardly laid on the sides of the cells but I could be wrong about that.  All in all a nice little swarm and they're gentle bees plus they provide some local survivor genetics to mix with my other mutts when the time comes :D
Facebook Link

Offline thatguy324

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 01:31:39 pm »
how many hives do you have and what type of hives are they?

Offline rwurster

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 09:04:22 pm »
25 double deep 10 frame langstroths, 5 splits in single 10 frame deep langs, and 2 - 5 frame deep nucs housing the 2 swarms I captured this year.  Started with all Carnis, pinched all the queens and re-queened from local swarm larvae, open mated the queens.  The bees survive the -15 to -20 degree cold snaps and thrive in the 110 degree summers.
Facebook Link

Offline thatguy324

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 09:14:43 pm »
man that is pretty amazing as for me two top bar hives empty but i have a friend that does swarm removal and cutouts says the next cutout or swarm i can have as long as i come along and help