Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: cutout in thibodaux louisiana  (Read 3409 times)

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
cutout in thibodaux louisiana
« on: July 10, 2011, 04:12:49 pm »
did this cutout friday.this is the first time i see ants living next to the hive this high up(about 18 ft up).they were falling on me when opening up the hive and were biting the heck out of me.after i got it opened up they just left.i did make a statement that i rather get stung by bees than these ants.well watch what you wish for cause these bees stung the heck out of me(like 25-30 timmes)on my hands and legs.well i did get the queen and a box of brood .saturday i went and set them up in my beeyard and they got me 8 more times.i will give them sometime and see if they will settle down,if not i will requeen them. the camera wasn't placed right but i managed to make this video.hope yall enjoy it .            .....schawee    cutout in thibodaux louisiana     
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: cutout in thibodaux louisiana
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 05:18:02 pm »
Looks like that was a tuff one, and hot.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline skflyfish

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 07:10:02 pm »
Thx Schawee.

You are brave man, working around the power lines!

I imagine your were pretty sore from being on the ladder for so long.

Jay

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 07:35:41 pm »
Good video.   Let us know if you have to requeen them boogers. 

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 02:10:46 am »
Good job " old eagle eye " !!!

Offline muradulislam

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 04:49:16 am »
how many cutouts per year for you schawee........ i'm getting jealous :-x........

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 07:42:09 am »
Schawee, I remember the days when you were camera shy. Now you seem completely comfortable with fame!

One of my favorite parts of each video is the way you rub your hand over your head and then over your face...as if you're sort of anticipating the work ahead. And in this one, you look dirty and worn out by the end of it. I'd have freaked out when I saw the extend of that comb. Oh gosh.

(And speaking of the extent of the comb...do you ever run into a cut out that requires more than a single day's work? Would you leave all that next exposed overnight so you could return the next day to finish?)

Thanks for the video, Schawee!

-Liz

"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline Boom Buzz

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 02:34:36 pm »
Schawee - another great video.  That colony was HUGE!

So do when you are up high pulling comb out like that, do you place the brood comb in a bucket and rubber band the comb into the frames later?

Do you have two buckets up there - one for honey comb and one for brood comb?

I had one cut out in which the capped brood just kind of popped out - I though maybe it was too hot and and the nurse bees had been vacuumed off the brood so they couldn't attend to the brood.  What causes them to pop out? 

Thanks for sharing,

John

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 05:11:15 pm »
Awesome job. That hive is huuuuuge.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 12:57:05 am »
john,being so high i decided to cut the brood and place them gently in a bucket without the bees on them.its less wear and tear on my knees and body :-D at one time i had 3 buckets up there ,one for the honey ,one for the brood and one for the old comb and cutoffs from brood.never heard of caped brood poping open like you said.i had no problem with that.  liz.your right about the camera thing.i can remember the first time i did a cutout with jp and when he put that camera in my face i was lost for words.now it's fun doing the videos.this was my second largest hive i ever did and didn't want to come back the next day so i finished at 9:30 that night.the largest hive i did was 2 1/2feet wide and 9 1/2 feet  high and i finished it the next day.i did leave it open .jp and i did a couple to finish the next day.by the end of the day i was very dirty ,smelly and very worn out.glad u like the video.muradulislam i think i did 30-35 so for this yearcounting the ones i did fith my buddy jp.allen i will keep you posted on that bleeping queen and thoes mean ass bees.               schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 09:40:04 am »
Great job Schawee! I appreciate you taking this one on, the man was very happy with your work!

Its clearly evident by all the wax moth cocoons and ants that the person before you didn't remove any comb. Can't be certain when the ants showed up, possibly when the prior hive was dwindling.

This removal was not for your average joe.

Liz, we try to remove all brood comb the same day and generally most honey comb as well but on some difficult/time consuming removals you have no choice but to leave things well alone until the next day.

On some, the queen will hole up somewhere in a void with a bunch of bees and you have no choice but to wait things out which could mean going back the next day.

John, I've had larvae pop out of cells before, this occurs for the most part when bees aren't covering those comb sections.

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 11:12:13 pm »
well i got an update on this hive . i been feeding them 2quarts of honey every 3 days and went in the hive today and see whats going on in it.the queen is laying great and they have one box full of brood.the second deep is getting comb drawn out on all frames.the queen is starting to lay in some of the frames in this box also.the bees had been great and they never showed any atempt to sting or bump me.i think this hive will work out great.its allways good to give them a chance before making a final decision on requeening or distroying the hive which i don't like to do.all and all this hive will turn out to be a great one.    ......schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 12:08:41 am »
Those ants may have something to do with their pissy attitude you think?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 12:20:09 am »
jp, it could have been the ants but something wasn't right with this hive.you know when you have a pissy hive you start to vac them up and they settle down but this hive got worst all the way up to the last 5 bees.but im glad they changed for the better.                      ...........schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP