Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: question about package installation and sugar water  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Jon Kniskern

• Brood
question about package installation and sugar water
« on: April 19, 2015, 10:42:41 am »
Hello,

I installed three packages yesterday and everything appeared to go well.  Bees have access to an internal source of sugar water.  As of this morning, none of the bees are actually feeding on the sugar water.  Bees themselves appear to be fine. At this point, should I be concerned about them not being on the sugar water?  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: question about package installation and sugar water
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 10:58:35 am »
If there is nectar available, the bees will take it first. If they can't get enough nectar, they will take the sugar water. I would leave it available until the hive is 80& full of drawn comb, bees, and stores.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: question about package installation and sugar water
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 10:09:51 pm »
I concur with that. Leave the syrup in the hive for a while. If you get some inclement weather they may use it, and they may use some during overnights when they get housekeeping done.
Put your location in your profile to better answer some questions you may have.

anything