Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Price of honey (lb) in your area  (Read 19739 times)

Offline dprater

• House Bee
Re: Price of honey (lb) in your area
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 07:46:47 pm »
Sterling: 1,200 # dang. Don't think my 6 hives will get me that much honey LOL.
But just for the fun of it how many hives does it take to get 1200 # of honey?

I sold some last year for $5 a pound, (first year to sale any) looks like I need to bump it up a little.

dan

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 10:10:57 pm »
In my area average  is about 60# and that is what I got this year. Just a little over 1200# with twenty hives. Last year I averaged 73# with fifteen hives. I would like to have twenty five production hives plus a few nucs and backup hives to split. That's about all I have time to deal with.

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 11:27:04 pm »
I'm in SW Florida and I sell my honey in Mason Jars.  $20 a quart.  $10 a pint and $5 a half pint. 
I also need to buy some honey if anybody local has some for sale in gallon containers.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 10:34:43 am »
I used to sell them for $5 in '06 up to '10.  I bumped it to $6 until '13 when increased again to $7 a pound retail.  1/4 was wholesale but I still sold out.  Harvested just over a ton in '13.  Just built another 5 hives and I'll be heading up to $8 for '14. 
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline JanO

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 07:08:34 pm »
Lets try to do it this way.
One gallon of honey weighs 12#
four quarts = one gallon
one guart weighs 3#
two pints = one quart
one pint weighs 1 1/2 #

I sell a quart for $16
A pint for $8
A one pound plastic bottle for $6
And I have sold 1,200# since July and I'm about out. So I have increased hives and going to raise prices next year. :) If all goes well.

Sterling,
That's exactly what I was trying to say...Thanks for saying it a lot more straight forward.  :laugh:

As I said, I sell my pounds for $7, and my quarts for $18, I'm toying with the idea of adding pints next year, if so, I'll probably sell them for $10.

Thanks for the breakdown Moots.   ;)

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 11:00:02 am »
I didn't sell any this year, last year I got 6 for a pint, 12 for a quart, 8 for a pint with comb.  When you sell your honey on your label you can have more honey the the label says but not less honey than indicated.  My label has 1.44 lbs for a pint and 2.88 for a quart.  I do not weight each bottle.  Good luck to you and your bees and may yuall make lots of honey.

Joe

Offline RudyT

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 01:30:15 pm »
As a relative newbee (3 years) and hobbyist, it seems to me that many beekeepers are reluctant to charge what the honey is worth -- my wife always replies when people ask that it is expensive but a bargain compared to my time and expenses.
My honey is local, without beekeeper pesticides, not heated by me above 95 degrees, strained enough to get bee parts out--and tastes really good!
I think it is worth $10 a pound or more--retail grocery store honey runs $4-6 per pound and is often a different product.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 01:40:31 pm »
Most people buy local honey with their hearts, the price is only a small part of the decision process

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2014, 08:57:12 pm »
I'm here in Central Arkansas and sell honey in Quart Mason Jars and put 3 pounds on the label.
I sold everything I had at $14.00 a quart.
I had one health food store tell me that if I had a hundred quarts they'd buy them.
I said guess what, I ain't got no more.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Dimmsdale

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2014, 02:29:06 pm »
I was able to sell my meager harvest of 100 lbs. (Not including my private stash  ;) ) in 2 weeks at $12.00 lb. in 1 lb muth jars.  I charged a little more because of the jars.  People couldn't get enough of them.  I highly recommend them as a way to dress up your product and thus charge a little more!  I live in a little spa town that gets a lot of high rolling visitors from the DC/Baltimore area.  Once I get my production up to speed, and start working our farmers market, I could probably get a little more! LOL

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2014, 07:36:17 pm »
Another way to increase your profits is to use fun and decorative lids on honey jars.

Thease cost about 15 cents extra and I sell the jars for 1 dollar over the normal jars with a plane gold lid.

40% of my customers choose the decorative lids.

Some Pictures of them on my FB https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=383006618511632&set=pcb.383007018511592&type=1&theater

If you click the Picture you can see all seven

A Quick way to make more with out extra work  :chop:

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline RudyT

• New Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2014, 10:37:19 am »
these are great.   where do you get them?

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2014, 07:39:15 pm »
Most of our beekeeping suppliers have them, some of the suppliers of jars and bottels have them

this is a German suppliers that has a large selection  http://www.holtermann-shop.de/index.php/cPath/113_115_202/category/deckel-bunt.html

try using a translator to change the language.

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2014, 08:00:38 pm »
thanks edward i'm going to either get some or see if i can find a way to make some.

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2014, 08:17:21 pm »
In SW Florida I sell quarts at $20 ; pints at $10 and half pints at $5. 
All in mason jars.
Prices are probably going up 20% as honey is getting scarce.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2014, 01:59:02 pm »
Most of our beekeeping suppliers have them, some of the suppliers of jars and bottels have them

this is a German suppliers that has a large selection  http://www.holtermann-shop.de/index.php/cPath/113_115_202/category/deckel-bunt.html

try using a translator to change the language.

mvh Edward  :-P

Wow!  I've seen a couple of those lids while traveling Europe on business and hitting farmers markets for local honey but some of those are downright impressive.  Has anyone here in the states seen a supplier that offers anything like those?  If so where please?

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2014, 04:25:38 pm »
Originally I was going to use them as gift jars at Christmas.

As usual I had left jarring honey to the last minute and the night beefore I was going to a farmers market I started filling jars  :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: and I couldn't find the normal gold lids  :evil:

What to do  :? I angrily took the picture ones swearing under my breath the whole time, well, if I have to use the expensive lids the price has to go UP!

No one complained, the Ladies like the pink flowery ones that I hadn't bought many of, so don't only buy the ones you Think are nice, even the girlie ones sell well.  :rainbowflower:

Usually I share and tell my other colleagues good ideas how to improve sales, but locally I'm keeping quiet so I can have something unique that no one else has caught on to yet.

It's a great way to make more Money, happy customers with no effort  :-D

mvh Edward

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2014, 05:57:49 pm »
It's about marketing sometimes.  I've put out some feelers to find some of those lids here.  I did find the honeycomb design with a supplier out of Minnesota.  It's the 6117 honeycomb design in the 63mm I regularly use.  I prefer many of the others but it's still nicer that what I currently use.  It looks more specialized and professional.  What does "82er, 66er, or 43er" mean?  Is it the diameter of the lid, 82mm,66mm,43mm etc.?

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2014, 08:57:11 pm »
Yes it is the diameter size of the lid.

Offline sweet bee

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2014, 03:51:36 am »
Another way to increase your profits is to use fun and decorative lids on honey jars.

Thease cost about 15 cents extra and I sell the jars for 1 dollar over the normal jars with a plane gold lid.

40% of my customers choose the decorative lids.

Some Pictures of them on my FB https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=383006618511632&set=pcb.383007018511592&type=1&theater

If you click the Picture you can see all seven

A Quick way to make more with out extra work  :chop:

mvh Edward  :-P

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:10:40 pm by sweet bee »
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would
not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me"

~Erma Bombeck