Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Medicating the new hive  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Jeff

• New Bee
Medicating the new hive
« on: February 15, 2008, 03:25:27 pm »
Some of you know I'm starting over with a new hive this spring after losing the first one this winter to starvation.

Just to be sure I get started right this time, what is the general consensus on which medications are advised in the first few weeks? I have some Apiguard foil packs left over from last season. Also have some Fumagilin-B which I never used. I've read this is recommended in spring for newly installed package bees. I guess part of the question is what/when do you medicate for preventive purposes, or do you always wait until there's actually a problem to treat?

Last summer I replaced the solid bottom board with a screened one after finding some (not a lot) mites, so I presume I should simply start out this time with the screened type? In winter I placed a sheet of plexiglass underneath the screened board to seal off the bottom of the hive from cold drafts, and in place of the original inner cover I used an "All-Season" one, leaving the foam sheet in (being new to the forum, I'm not allowed to post an image link, but many of you probably know the Honey Run Apiaries product I'm talking about).
"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian."

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Medicating the new hive
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 04:59:53 pm »
Lots of controversy regarding medications. I never, ever medicated my bees.

I know they say it is not necessary the first year anyway. After that you can decide how you want to go with it all.  Read up on different ways to proceed . You will hear lots of different opinions on this.

I am following the school of thought that you would not take medication if you weren't sick. Same for the bees.

Annette

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Medicating the new hive
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 05:42:38 pm »
I would wait on any kind or varroa treatment until you get some drop rates and know if you have a problem.

Depending on whether your dead hive had any dysentery/nosema issues, you may elect to use the Fumagilan as bees are more susceptible when they are stressed,  especially if you are starting with a package.   Although this won't eliminate nosema, it would at least keep it under control until the bees get settled in and become strong enough to deal with it.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything