Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from Sebastopol, Cali!  (Read 2015 times)

Offline bberry

• House Bee
  • Playing with wool is good for your soul
Greetings from Sebastopol, Cali!
« on: July 08, 2007, 07:09:41 pm »
I"m a new beek. I just started two hives this spring-they are kickin' butt and taking numbers and i could not be happier. Of course my local bee guru tells me to enjoy as things can quickly change.
I have just added a honey super each to both hives as the bees are packing in the honey and i am worried about this impinging on brood area.
I had some questions as to whether i should have added the supers though. I have two deep boxes per hive totally full of brood and honey stores-both boxes have six frames brood/honey and four solid frames honey. I have heard from some people to just let the bees have all the honey the first winter and not add honey supers?????? Does anyone have opinion on this?
Also, how often should i get into the lower box? Just before winter? At all if no sign of trouble? Still figuring how much (or little) to disturb them.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Greetings from Sebastopol, Cali!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 10:35:16 pm »
Hi And Welcome,

Adding supers shouldn't have any impact on the brood area.

Whether to let the bees have the honey is completely dependant on the strenth of the hive.
if you have a strong hive Adding honey supers and taking that honey should not be a problem. I almost never remove the honey frames from a brood box because the bees use those honey frames to help regulate the temprature of the hive.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Currently in Charlotte, NC airport changing planes to Boston
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

anything